Home Service Manager
Options

Can someone who upgraded to SC2016 help me with some guidance?

chelsea_alonsochelsea_alonso Customer IT Monkey ✭
edited December 2016 in Service Manager
Hello! 

I am trying to bring my SCSM and SCORCH environments up to 2016 in coordination with my SCOM guy who is trying to get to 2016 as well. In our environment, SCSM had only been updated to UR7 and I'm doing dry runs in a DEV environment before going to production. My predecessor set up SCSM and SCORCH and I haven't done any updates since. 

Here are some concerns/issues/game plan ideas that I have:

-Apply the UR8 package to SCORCH to prepare for 2016 (I did this in DEV, but it really only seems like a runbook designer console update. Is this right? And if I use Orchestrator Deployment Manager for Runbook Designer and Integration Pack deployment, do I need to do anything else after UR8 to "load" the current RB Designer package?)

-Apply the UR9 package to SCSM to be ready for 2016. (I did this in DEV as well, but I'm totally stuck on the recommended post update "clean up" tasks from the UR9 article [https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3129780].)

-Follow recommended cleanup tasks from the UR9 article.
--The first one was to "remove duplicate billing items" which looks like it targets the billable time that accumulates as an analyst works on a WI. The PS script provided with UR9 initially started throwing null errors for the Get-SCSMIncidentClassInstance cmdlet, so I added logic to simply log the null instances. Is it bad to have null instances for this? I ran it with the default timestamp which appears to be the release date of UR7 and it is still running after 3 days and a counter written to the host is up to 11M and counting. The box running the script is pegged out on memory utilization and has slowed since then. I gather that this is a script that consolidates billable item relationships into a single instance/WI because UR9 will have a write conflict when more than one billable item exists on a WI. We are an in-house shop and do not use this datapoint to quantify work. Is there a way to disable billable time or skip this cleanup task? Our instance of SCSM is pretty big and not well used by my endusers, at any given point we probably have 20-25K active workitems for 300 analysts and 5000 endusers.
--After that is the SCOM CI sync update timestamp... I'm not sure what to expect from that.
--The last item listed is to configure the timeout period for the DW transform jobs. Is this one optional? 

-Prepare for the 2016 update. Both SCSM and SCORCH are on Server 2012 R2 and SQL 2012 SP2 which is supported by 2016 according to documentation. DEV testing, pre-upgrade backups, and things of that sort...

-Follow the 2016 update articles on Technet: first SCORCH, second SCSM, and then pass the baton to my SCOM colleague. Did anyone have any unexpected issues when they did this? I'm not far enough along to know what I'm concerned about in this step. 

-Update Cireson Portal to 7.x for SC2016. Does this need to be done before SCSM? What about the console apps (we use TierWatcher and Outlook plugin)? Do these need to be upgraded after all the other upgrades?

I know this was a long series of questions, but any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    chelsea_alonsochelsea_alonso Customer IT Monkey ✭

Thank you for the response. I have made some progress on all the crazy stuff that I was explaining but I have not gotten to the actual 2016 upgrade in my dev environment yet so I was still curious about that! Thanks!