Home Service Manager

ESXi Hosts as Configuration items

Brian_WiestBrian_Wiest Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoping the knowledgeable people here can help point me in the correct direction. 
Trying to meet the need of our support desk to reference ESXi hosts in SCSM for incident support. 
Not sure what I am missing to get the connection working.
Currently I have SCVMM running and it is pulling the Host/VM's Etc. from vSphere successfully. Then I have SCVMM tied to SCOM where I am getting details on the Hosts. 
In SCSM I have the SCVMM and SCOM CI connectors setup and working.
I just cannot find the ESXi hosts as CI's not even sure if they are getting pulled in. I thought they would show up and Hosts but that table is blank. 

Best Answer

Answers

• Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Here's how the SCOM/SCSM CI connector works -
    • VMWare has some kind of SCOM management pack (looks like they made one for SCOM 2007 and there are a bunch of 3rd party versions available) that you'd use to monitor your vSphere deployment
    • That SCOM MP you would import into SCSM (Thus creating new Classes inside of SCSM)
    • The SCOM CI Connector in SCSM you would check off "Sync this VMWare MP"
    • On the next SCSM run of this connector those discovered SCOM items get pulled over as SCSM CI's

This identical logic applies to any SCOM MP such as Azure, Citrix, SMA, Hyper-V, SQL, Networking, and any other MP you can get your hands on for SCOM. This magic works because SCOM MPs leverage Classes just like SCSM (or rather the other way around) in which case the SCOM CI Connector creates the Objects of those Classes inside of SCSM.

I keep re-reading that paragraph. Lot of acronyms in there. :)
    Any luck on this one @Brian_Wiest ?
  • Brian_WiestBrian_Wiest Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any luck - No
    Still playing with it. Currently unable to find the VMWare MP. 
    Your response put me on the right track. Thanks
    But working on the VMM Managment Pack. 
    Meaning when I installed the VMM server and then made the connector to SCOM. VMM pushed a managment pack to SCOM. Microsoft.SystemCenter.VirtualMachineManager.Library 3.2.8071.0
    Reviewing the SCOM-SCSM Connector this pack is not listed and I belive that is were my issue is. 
    SCOM will not allow me to export the managment pack so attempting to locate online.
    Will see where this leads me.
    Argh, The SCOM engineer updated to UR9 and I have SCVMM still on UR7.
    Thanks for all to recommendations. Have some upgrading to do and then retest. :smile:
    Update
    Successfully got the sync job running.
    Once SCVMM was on UR11 and I re-imported the management packs on SCOM and SCSM they arrived in SCSM as available classes/Configuration Items. Thanks for the help.