Home Analyst Portal
Options

ExternalUrl in API response

Martin_BlomgrenMartin_Blomgren Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
Hi,

I'm testing the different API endpoints for Knowledge Base (Articles) but none of the available that return a list, grouped or flat, contains the ExternalUrl.

For example GetForGrid /api/V3/Article (GET just returns 500) response:

It's only when I retrieve a single article as the ExternalUrl I populated:

I wonder if this is by design or a bug?

Portal version 7.1.2016.1

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Thanks for a fast answer!

The idea was to build a Knowledge Base wrapper since we've invested a'lot of time in a pure knowledge base system with hundreds of howtos, video guides etc. Utilizing the API with Category, StatusString, Title, Description & ExternalUrl would make this possible.

The benefits of doing this would be to link those into ROs and everywhere else appropriate with custom js. Downloading all articles just to get this info would, as you say, be quite a load. Since this is a client side Angular app server-side caching is not something we could do either. Would be easy to extend your API but I rather keep my final solution small and easy so anyone just can drop it into CustomSpace. Internal discussion will decide which way we'll go.

Will put in as a feature request (even though I doubt I will be highly ranked)!

• Options
    Figured it out but due to the security flaw I used I will not share how at this moment.

Incident is raised with Cireson support!
  • Options
    seth_coussensseth_coussens Member Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    This makes sense Martin. Thanks for the feedback and letting us know there is an issue.

Additionally, you could build a custom task that brings features out of your existing system (assuming it has an API already) and links articles via a softlink (IDs of the KB or the IR stored in one system or another) and have the custom task display any related KBs from the other system in that fashion, bypassing the Cireson KBs all together.

If you are only using the portal this is a very viable solution and one we've done before ourselves.
  • Options
    Unfortunately there is no API in our existing knowledge system and I was also trying to add som knowledge to my custom home app. Haven't decided yet how I will solve it but that's all part of the fun!