Home Configuration Manager

Upgrading SCCM with respect to SCSM 2012R2

Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2017 in Configuration Manager
There was a period of time during the 2012 product cycle where all System Center products had to be on the same exact UR version. I believe it was UR7 or maybe UR8 this was abandoned when SCCM took off on its own release cycle of "branches".

That said - for us SCSM 2012 R2 users who aren't exactly sprinting into 2016 what things (if any) do we need to be aware of when upgrading our SCCM deployment? Is there some risk to the SCSM/SCCM connector that we should be aware of?

I get the impression (and hope) that since it isn't explicitly mentioned in @wally_mead's blogpost everything should be ok. But I certainly wouldn't mind some confirmation with respect to the latest 1610 branch. :)

Best Answers

• Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    There is nothing of concern to note at this stage.
    With the new Current Branch style of updates the base DB is not changing unless being added to. Any new features won't be available via the connector but that's understandable as the connector only brings in the inventory data anyhow.
    I'm running ConfigMgr CB 1611 and SCSM 2012 R2 in my lab and it functions perfectly.
    I'm also running ConfigMgr CB 1606 with SCSM 2016 as a test and it too functions as expected.

Upgrade ConfigMgr with confidence that it will function with SCSM 2012 R2 regardless of what version of ConfigMgr you choose.

Hope this answers your question.
  • wally_meadwally_mead Member Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    And that is to be expected from what I have heard. No real requirements for Configuration Manager current branch in regards to the rest of the System Center environment.

Answers

• Leigh_KildayLeigh_Kilday Member Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    Good point, Adam. My team doesn't control the rest of SC so it would be good to know whether we need to bring others along of the ride.
  • Candice_YeudallCandice_Yeudall Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Yes this would be really nice to know like Adam we will not be heading to 2016 anytime soon if at all.
  • Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    There is nothing of concern to note at this stage.
    With the new Current Branch style of updates the base DB is not changing unless being added to. Any new features won't be available via the connector but that's understandable as the connector only brings in the inventory data anyhow.
    I'm running ConfigMgr CB 1611 and SCSM 2012 R2 in my lab and it functions perfectly.
    I'm also running ConfigMgr CB 1606 with SCSM 2016 as a test and it too functions as expected.

Upgrade ConfigMgr with confidence that it will function with SCSM 2012 R2 regardless of what version of ConfigMgr you choose.

Hope this answers your question.
  • Brad_McKennaBrad_McKenna Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    We too upgraded SCCM, in early 2016 (1511) & again late in 2016 (1606), without any issues with our SCSM 2012 R2 environment
  • wally_meadwally_mead Member Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    And that is to be expected from what I have heard. No real requirements for Configuration Manager current branch in regards to the rest of the System Center environment.