Home General Discussion
Options

Possible: Relating PWA projects to CR without RR?

Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
In the Vimeo presentation on the Project Server Connector (https://vimeo.com/143807784), the way to sync project tasks is to:
  1. Relate an in-progress Project to a CR or an RR (depending on your chosen settings)
  2. Create (or have) a relationship between a CR and RR (one of which is related to the project) by way of a Dependent Activity (DA) in the CR
  3. Watch any matching (per your settings) task activities (TA) start flowing into your work item
Although I think I have my answer, I am going to ask anyway: is it possible to simply relate a project to a CR and have the TA's sync into the CR as TA activities?  This is a closer match to some companies' processes (perhaps even just for certain processes) and seems much less complicated to sync.

If not, then I will submit the feature request.  There are those who may want a simple RR association (instead of CR) too, of course.

I hope I am just missing something, but thanks for clearing this up, either way.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    I am interested in those technical reasons--I think it would be good education for all of us.

I will create a feature request.  I am going to word it similarly to my question, but perhaps it will need to be edited after we hear what some of the technical hurdles were.
  • Options
    seth_coussensseth_coussens Member Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds good, will see if I can get @allen_anderson to clarify.
  • Options
    allen_andersonallen_anderson Member IT Monkey ✭
    @Tom_Hendricks
    So the current behaviors we see in the Project connectors follow the standard ITIL processes for change and release as Service Manager allows us.  It was developed closely with one of our customers to help tie together their own change and release processes.

With that said, its entirely possible to drive the entire process through a change request.  I don't see any immediate technological blockers there.  The feature request will get it on our radar and into our backlog for the connector.
  • Options