Home Analyst Portal

Older incidents not visible in Portal

Suleyman_OzdenSuleyman_Ozden Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

Hi

I am looking for someone to confirm that the reason older incidents are not showing in portal is due to the fact that they are moved to datawarehouse. We have set a 90 retention on incidents.

I can see cases in a search but when clicking on them I get an error.

Best Answers

Answers

• Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    When an Incident Work Item is created it is saved to the Service Manager database.
    It is also synced to the Data Warehouse DB the next time the Extract, Transfer and Load (ETL) jobs run.

Incident work items remain in the Service Manager database until such time as they have their status set to CLOSED.
    Once they have a status of closed, the retention settings from SCSM will count how many days it has been closed. After that time (in your case 90 days) the data will be deleted from the Service Manager database so the only record of it after those 90 days will be in the Data Warehouse DB.

The Cireson Portal uses a service (Called the Cireson Cache Builder) that syncs some key data from the Service Manager DB to the Cireson DB for use in the portal. When the data is removed from the Service Manager DB the data should also be removed from the Cireson DB.

As of version 7.3 of the portal we introduce Cireson Analytics that does a longer term storage of work items and other data but this is for reporting via dashboards in the portal and not wired to the search or Work Item usage in the portal at this stage.

I hope this covers what you are after and answers your question
  • Suleyman_OzdenSuleyman_Ozden Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

Thanks for confirming. The only thing I do not understand then is how come i can make a search for incidents that had a CLOSED date from september 2016? The search shows ID, title, affected user, status, assigned to user. I Wonder where it gets the information?

Our analyst are used to being able to lookup old cases. It does make sense to lookup how a particular case was resolved or check a users history of cases etc.

I Wonder if there is a way to provide that for them?

And also what the ideal ways to access the datawarehouse data would be? Power BI, Reporting services or something else?

I havent had the chance to look at the analytics yet.

Thats ok.

I am planning to set the retention to 180 days. How is that going to effect performance? More data in Service ManagerDB, will mean more data that Cireson has to cache right?

• Peter_SettlePeter_Settle Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

We currently have all our work item set 365 days and suffer zero performance issue.

@Suleyman_Ozden

• Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Totally agree with @Brian_Wiest on his comment.

Another thing to consider is our new product that was added to v7.3 of the portal that archives data from the Cireson DB and takes most of the WI data in to our Analytics database.
    Depending on your reporting requirements, this feature might be enough data for you that would not need a data warehouse at all. :)

We did a series (USA, APAC and EMEA) of webinars on this in the past week and recordings of them are available at www.vimeo.com/teamcireson

Might be worth investigating.....

We currently have all our work item set 365 days and suffer zero performance issue.

@Suleyman_Ozden

Hi Peter

Just to get an idea. How many Work Items do you have a month? And do users connect to workflow server?

I have a seperate server for Cireson. We have perhaps 1100-1200 Work items.

• Brian_WiestBrian_Wiest Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Brett_Moffett We are just got 7.3 running in our staging environment and these weekend will push to production. But one thing I wished it could do is that we will only get metrics from the live database moving forward. It will not pull the 2 years that are currently in our warehouse.
    We also build our own web application that pulls the data into a custom SQL database to provide end user and analyst search options of all historical tickets, work logs, and configuration items.