Home Asset Management

Is there anyway to access an API for asset Manager?

Rory97Rory97 Member IT Monkey ✭
I am a computer programming co-op student for Maple Leaf foods and I and trying to make an application to organize loaning out certain devices in the office (laptops, tablets, etc...). Currently, all the devices are stored in Asset Manager. We would like to keep using this database so things all stay in one place and it is easy to manage. My issue is I currently have no way of manipulating the data stored in Asset Manager. Is there any way to access that data through an API of sorts?

Answers

• Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    The data in the Asset Management component of the Cireson suite is, in it's most reduced form, just an extension of the database that runs Service Manager.
    So if you are looking to retrieve this data then it is a simple SQL query.
    However, editing the data directly is not recommended.

There is the SCSM Authoring toolkit that allows admins (like yourself) to edit the workflows, forms and data schema to do what it is you are after.

For example: if you are looking for a loan process for devices the Asset Management solution does have a single Loan Start and End date, but if you wanted to extend this to show a history of loan records, you could create a new class (maybe something like Loan Record) that would have a Many-to-One relationship to the Hardware Asset that you could display on the form in a grid view.

You could custom build this yourself, or, put it in to the Community as a feature request and if it was voted for by enough community members it might make it in to a future release of the product.

I hope this helps answer your question