Home Service Manager

2012R2 > 2016 DW upgrade issue (SQL Server 2014 Analysis Management Objects)

Leigh_KildayLeigh_Kilday Member Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
I'm trying to upgrade our test environment to 2016. The readiness check doesn't seem to be able to find SQL Server 2014 Analysis Management Objects on the DW box, but it's definitely there.

I found this article describing the same issue, but it doesn't really have a solution:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/08ff5e64-08ae-4ce2-a8e3-25b6d54d4055/microsoft-sql-server-2014-analysis-management-objects?forum=setup

2014 AMO appears in the registry as expected. I've tried uninstalling both 2012 and 2014 AMO and reinstalling 2014, but no luck. I've tried the x64 and x86 versions, but no luck.

Can anybody help?

Best Answers

• Leigh_KildayLeigh_Kilday Member Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017 Answer ✓
    @Steve_Clarke, you were onto something there.

I exported the registry key for 2014 AMO, modified the key in the file to match that which was suggested in the article, imported it and then modified the modify and uninstall path through the regedit gui (they're represented as hex in the reg file).

I now have two entries for 2014 AMO, but SCSM doesn't care.

I have the answer.

The SCSM prerequisite checks are looking the guid for 2014 AMO RTM. 2014 AMO SP2 creates a different key. Upgrading from RTM to SP2 removes the RTM guid and adds the new one, causing the prerequisite checks to fail.

Raising this with Microsoft.

Answers

• Steve_ClarkeSteve_Clarke Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭

According to that article it looks like it is failing the registry check. Did you find the {ACF38890-84D1-481E-92C8-730FACA9CDD5} key under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\" ?

I just checked our enviornment and it is there.

That key doesn't exist in my DW registry, and 2014 AMO is represented under a different GUID.

That looks like the correct GUID for the 2014 AMO in our case...

Are you running the install as and Administrator? I normally run up a CMD propt as and Administrator (right click --> Run as Administrator) and then kick of the SQL_AS_AMO.msi through that. Some apps dont prompt for elevation and try to install but bits fail (often without you knowing).

If the guid for 2014 is not being created I would run a proc mon trace (from sysinternals) while you are doing the AMO install. You will likely see an issue when it is attempting to create the reg key. My guess would be something like Access Denied.

@Steve_Clarke, you were onto something there.

I exported the registry key for 2014 AMO, modified the key in the file to match that which was suggested in the article, imported it and then modified the modify and uninstall path through the regedit gui (they're represented as hex in the reg file).

I now have two entries for 2014 AMO, but SCSM doesn't care.

No worries. Another thing to check that can sometimes cause some weird issues with downloaded executables is the Unblock setting on the general tab of the file properties.

Glad you got it sorted.

Just another note that you have essentially just put in the key that the SCCM installer is looking for, allowing the wizard to proceed.

You said it is a test environment so you might be ok with that but I would be a little nervous doing that in a Produciton environment.

I would rather the AMO installer successfully create the required key etc so that you are absolutely certain that you have the right binary version etc.

I have the answer.

The SCSM prerequisite checks are looking the guid for 2014 AMO RTM. 2014 AMO SP2 creates a different key. Upgrading from RTM to SP2 removes the RTM guid and adds the new one, causing the prerequisite checks to fail.

Raising this with Microsoft.

Ok cool. Thanks for providing an update. It is good to know what caused it :)