Home General Discussion

Few users getting login prompt

Dan_StyanDan_Styan Customer IT Monkey ✭
Hello,

A few new users are getting login prompts when trying to access the portal.  When using their windows credentials it's still not working.

We have a end_user role which has an ad group called scsm_end_users and within that is domain users, the same as all of our other users.

I've checked the users CI and the new users are showing up in that, so not that

Is there something blindingly obvious I'm missing?

Answers

• Conner_WoodConner_Wood Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    I can think of 2 things.....
    1. IIS > Sites > CiresonPortal > Authentication > Windows Authentication == Enabled > Then in Advanced Settings: Extended Protection == Off + Enable Kernel-mode authentication == Checked
    2. If they are using Internet Explorer then on their browser go into Internet Options > Security > Local intranet > Custom Level... > Scroll to bottom for User Authentication Section > Set Logon to option 2 (Auto only in Intranet) or option 3 (Auto with current username and password).  You could restart the browser and see it that'd do it, otherwise you could restart the computer like it says.

Any other differences between these users, is it only certain machines?
  • Dan_StyanDan_Styan Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Hello,

I was thinking along the lines of the internet options, but all that does it bring up or hides the login box, and regardless of the user putting in her credentials it doesn't work.

I've asked the on-site person to log in with his credentials to see if it works and then that way we know the PC settings side is okay and is more of a problem specific to that user.

Very strange
    I've heard back and when the on-site IT memeber uses his credentials in the pop up box it works, so it's something with the new users for some reason
    I've found the issue, I restarted the cache builder and everyone who was getting a login prompt is now getting in straight away with no login box.

I believe this has happened as our servers normally get rebooted once a month with windows updates, but due to none being released last month it simply didn't get restarted.

So is there a best practice for how often to restart the cache builder?  I can schedule a net stop/start but wondering if that should be every night, once a week etc?

Thanks
    Any recommondations?
    any ideas?
  • Brian_WiestBrian_Wiest Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you check the SQL table dbo.CI$User to they show up there?
    Hi the users showed up when I restarted the cache builder service.  I'm wondering if there's a best practice to restart it one a week, bi weekly etc?
  • Brian_WiestBrian_Wiest Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me it depends on what the log is showing. 
    But I more commonly restart the SCSM Health State and part of my process for doing so it to restart the Cireson Cache Builder Service. (Along with clearing the last modified table)
    This I do on a weekly biweekly basis depending on how much I am changing on the management packs.