Home Configuration Manager

SMS_STATE_SYSTEM - SQL Message 6522 Severity 16

HarjitHarjit Member IT Monkey ✭

I recently upgraded my SCCM server to 1511 with SQL Server 2012 R2 SP3 on Server 2008 R2. I'm seeing the following errors
in SMS_STATE_SYSTEM in Component Status. Any idea what the error refers to and the possible fixes? Thanks.

Microsoft SQL Server reported SQL message 6522, severity 16: [42000][6522][Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]A .NET Framework error occurred during execution of
user-defined routine or aggregate "fnMDMCalculateHash":
System.Data.SqlTypes.SqlNullValueException: Data is Null. This method or prop

Best Answer

Answers

• John_FitzpatrickJohn_Fitzpatrick Customer IT Monkey ✭
    When you upgraded did you get asked if you were working in online or offline mode? If you selected online mode and you don't have intune the following article sounds like it might be useful.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/charlesa_us/2016/05/02/configmgr-current-branch-service-connection-point-and-whats-in-the-telemetry/

About half way down the page there is reference to "fnMDMCalculateHash":

• HarjitHarjit Member IT Monkey ✭
    Yes, I did the online mode during install. The article is intriguing but it still doesn't provide any insight on a fix. Thanks for the reply.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    Paging @wally_mead

Hi Wally, yes we met several times last week at MMS. Remember the selfie? :-)
    Yes, all other state messages seem to be fine with an occasional SMS_INVENTORY_DATA_LOADER error but all seems to be working as expected. I'll upgrade to 1602 from 1511 and see if that clears this error. Thanks for the response.

• wally_meadwally_mead Member Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Yes, do remember your selfie ;-) Inventory Data Loader will often report errors from attempting to process hardware inventory. You should certainly validate that they are really issues, and that they do get resolved in future hardware inventory reports, but not uncommon at all.
    Harjit said:

I recently upgraded my SCCM server to 1511 with SQL Server 2012 R2 SP3 on Server 2008 R2. I'm seeing the following errors
    in SMS_STATE_SYSTEM in Component Status. Any idea what the error refers to and the possible fixes? Thanks.

Microsoft SQL Server reported SQL message 6522, severity 16: [42000][6522][Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]A .NET Framework error occurred during execution of
    user-defined routine or aggregate "fnMDMCalculateHash":
    System.Data.SqlTypes.SqlNullValueException: Data is Null. This method or prop
    These errors are still prevalent in 1602. Doesn't seem to be fixed yet.
    Sorry to hear that Harjit. It's possible that my memory is not what it used to be, but was pretty sure that it was to be resolved. Anyway, I fired off an email to a dev contact at Microsoft in the Configuration Manager product group to see what he recalls about it (the guy I want to say had reported it as a known, non-toxic, issue previously. I will update when I get a response from him.
    Thanks @wally_mead
    I also have it posted in TechNet but no responses so far. Even MS support doesn't seem to have any answers at this time. I'm anxious to hear what you hear back. Thanks again for taking the time to look into this issue.
    Wow, if you have posted in the TechNet forums with no answer, that is surprising. A lot of the MVPs monitor those (I don't much any longer) and stay on top of them. And if product support has not heard of it, maybe I'm thinking of something else. Will see what my dev contact says and report back.
    Hi Harjit,

Just wanted to let you know that I've emailed the dev, and pinged him again, but still no answer. So I've not forgotten about this, just waiting for him to respond. I believe they are pretty busy working on a new build to be released, so that is likely consuming all his cycles.

Sorry for the delay. Did the posting in the TechNet forums result in anything for you yet?

Wally
    Wally,

Thanks for the update. I appreciate it. 
    No, there is zero response on my TechNet post. It's disappointing especially when there are so many MVPs in this field. 
    Sorry to hear that. I'll let you know when I do get a response from the Microsoft product group developer. But to confirm, everything else still seems to be working fine, correct?
    @wally_mead Sorry for the late response. I thought I had responded but overlooked it. Yes, everything else seems to be working fine. 
    Glad to hear it. Still no response from the dev. I know that they are working on getting their next build ready, so assuming that he's pretty backlogged on that. I will respond when I hear anything back for you.
    Hi Harjit,

I finally got a response back. Not what I was thinking, but give it a shot. The dev said:

For this particular issue, it is likely due to some bad state messages reported from clients. If possible, customer can double check the statesys.log and it will tell the CM Admins which particular .SMX file is causing the issue and it is likely they are moved to the corrupted folder (<cminstalldir>\ \inboxes\auth\statesys.box\corrupt)

If so, can they share the offending .SMX files and the statesys.log/lo_

Check that out and let me know if it resolves the issue. I've seen corrupt messages before, never in the State System however.

Wally
    Hey Wally,

Thank you very much for following up on this. I'll give this a try and provide some feedback. Thanks again.
    Great, hope his thoughts help out.