Home Configuration Manager

Best Way To Clean Up Software Updates

HarjitHarjit Member IT Monkey ✭
Some time back while working on an issue with a SCCM PFE, he recommended the following steps to clean up Software Updates, Deployments, ADRs, Packages.......
  1. Delete Deployment
  2. Delete Package
  3. Delete SUG
  4. Delete ADR
Is there a preferred or recommended method to complete the tasks? Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• wally_meadwally_mead Member Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Hi Harjit. That order certainly seems reasonable. A number of the objects in the Configuration Manager Console, if you try to delete them, it will prompt you to delete the associated objects also (such as deployments). So that may be an option as well in some cases (don't recall if it does that for all associated objects).
    So if it were me, I'd do a test on each object type and try to delete the object (such as a Package), and see if it also deleted any other associations. I know there it would remove the deployment. Otherwise, if deleting an object did not remove everything, then it certainly makes sense to start from the client end - what hits the client, which is the deployment. And then work your way back to the original object created.
    I hope that helps. Specifically in your scenario above, you may not want to delete the Software Update Group, as it can still be very useful for compliance reporting, even if you are not deploying it. But if you know that you don't need to report on compliance for those updates as a group, then certainly can remove it too.
    Wally