Home Asset Management
Options

OS Installs by User

Ryan_EphgraveRyan_Ephgrave Customer IT Monkey ✭
The client I am at is allowed 5 installs of Windows 10 per user. Is there any way to automatically track this in Cireson, or would I need to build something custom?

Answers

• Options
    Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmm, That is a really tricky question @Ryan_Ephgrave
    To do it automatically would be VERY hard....
    However, if you were to do it manually then that wouldn't be too difficult as you could track the OS's as Software Assets and have Approved computers as the count of computers using that asset.

If you wanted to track each users OS count then you would have to create a Software Asset for the OS for each user....    Ewwww. But that would be the only way to truly report on the number of Installs of the OS (One over arching Software Asset) and the number of computers installed per user so you could auto report on if the user went over their 10 assignment.

If you were after just a general count (for example: I have 500 users, they can install Windows on 10 machines each. Do I have more or less than 5000 installs of Windows?)
    then this is much simpler as you could track the Windows OS as a software asset (with 500x10 as the license count) and just report on the number of computer CI's with that software installed.

Happy to chat more about potential solutions that will fit your specific business requirements if you would like.

If you want some light reading on tracking OS's via Cireson Asset Management, here is a blog article on the subject; https://systemcenternoise.wordpress.com/2017/02/22/cireson-software-asset-management-tracking-operating-systems/

I hope this answers your question