Home General Discussion

Asset Management - Licenses

Eugene_RackEugene_Rack Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
We are using the License asset management tool and have come across an issue. We have created a license for a yearly maintenance for one of our products. We have also created a license for the original 10 user license order for the same product. In the main license (Yearly maintenance) there is a tab called Related Assets. You can add Related Software Assets and Related Licenses. I added a Related Software Assets and a Related License. However when I save the change and review the Related Assets Tab, only the Related Software asset is there, the Related License is not there. I had a look at the backend SCSM asset management form and you only have the option to select Software Asset selection. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Best Answer

• Eugene_RackEugene_Rack Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello Brett

What you have described is what I think we could use as a process. I will present to the management team. What I was looking at originally was a license for the 10 user license we purchased. This is a one off charge so not warning of expiry is required. We would create a second license that would be the Maintenance license. This we would have a trigger alert before expiry. As the 10 user license would not expire and we could in future buy more licenses which would also be a one off payment we would want these related to the maintenance license. This is where I get the issue. When opening the Maintenance license and then adding the related 10 user license this does not save even though you can add and save when reviewing the related license is not there.

This of course wont be an issue if our management are happy to use the process you described previously. However would like know why the related license does not save.

Thanx

Eugene

Answers

• Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the case that you are describing I would create a License CI for the original license of the product, then a Support and Maintenance Contract CI for the S&M portion then related both to the Software Asset.

This way you can trigger a notification on License warning, Support and Maintenance Warning and Expiration of both and track them all back to a single software asset.

Is this what you were after or have I miss understood the question?
  • Eugene_RackEugene_Rack Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello Brett

What you have described is what I think we could use as a process. I will present to the management team. What I was looking at originally was a license for the 10 user license we purchased. This is a one off charge so not warning of expiry is required. We would create a second license that would be the Maintenance license. This we would have a trigger alert before expiry. As the 10 user license would not expire and we could in future buy more licenses which would also be a one off payment we would want these related to the maintenance license. This is where I get the issue. When opening the Maintenance license and then adding the related 10 user license this does not save even though you can add and save when reviewing the related license is not there.

This of course wont be an issue if our management are happy to use the process you described previously. However would like know why the related license does not save.

Thanx

Eugene