Home Analyst Portal

Upgrade from v6 to v7

Jay_RhotenJay_Rhoten Customer IT Monkey ✭
I'm unable to upgrade the Analyst Portal software successfully.  The installation log says the upgrade finishes, but the cache builder service recognizes an existing cache builder (this is an upgrade) and disables the service and then fails to start.  Recording a logon error for the service.

I think I'd like to remove ALL traces of the software, and try a clean install.  But the online installer seems to detect a previous installation and populates attributes.  I've followed the procedure to uninstall, but the artifacts persist.

Best Answer

• Jay_RhotenJay_Rhoten Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Answer ✓
    There are STIGs implemented to control user account credentials, and that is something to keep in mind.  I've determined that the password has been modified (without my knowledge) and I'm going to resolve this issue during a maintenance window planned for this weekend.

On a positive note, all great suggestions, and its been useful to verify that the requirements are being met for the software upgrade.

Answers

• merlenette_jonesmerlenette_jones Member Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I'm unable to upgrade the Analyst Portal software successfully.  The installation log says the upgrade finishes, but the cache builder service recognizes an existing cache builder (this is an upgrade) and disables the service and then fails to start.  Recording a logon error for the service.

I think I'd like to remove ALL traces of the software, and try a clean install.  But the online installer seems to detect a previous installation and populates attributes.  I've followed the procedure to uninstall, but the artifacts persist.

We have a call scheduled with you for this tomorrow morning.

Without providing log files or at least a screen shot of the actual error this will be almost impossible to tell what is happening.

You stated "The installation log says the upgrade finishes, but the cache builder service recognizes an existing cache builder" This is normal as the cachebuilder service is already installed from a previous version

What steps did you take to uninstall the product?
    The service is disabled after the upgrade and will not start, no matter what security principle is used the error (repeating) is logon failure.

I'm baffled as to why a "normal" installation log entry leads to a disabled Cache Builder service and the resulting logon error.

I've followed the Cireson Portal software uninstall procedure, used REGEDIT to remove the service to get beyond the "it's already there error", searched within my profile to find & delete Cireson entries to remove previous artifacts from failed installation/upgrades, and found/deleted registry entries pertaining to Cache/Cireson using REGEDIT.
    The uninstallation process does require you to make any edits to REGEDIT. Doesn't sound like you were following the steps here - https://support.cireson.com/KnowledgeBase/View/1137#/

With that said I will assist you in resolving this issue tomorrow morning. You will be fully operational after the call.

Enjoy your evening.
    I followed the steps in the KB, and when that failed resorted to REGEDIT.  
    The latest try......Cireson Cache Builder service......

Error 1069: The service did not start due to a logon failure.....

also....from the installation log

4/3/2017 4:15:36 PM Starting service...
    4/3/2017 4:15:42 PM CacheBuilder Service Installed successfully.

4/3/2017 4:15:42 PM Failed to add windows service event sources: Source CacheBuilder already exists on the local computer.

4/3/2017 4:15:42 PM Failed to add windows service event sources: Source WebAPI already exists on the local computer.

4/3/2017 4:15:42 PM Failed to add windows service event sources: Source WebPortal already exists on the local computer.

4/3/2017 4:15:52 PM Installation completed

Thank you for the detail. Yes this is normal. We will go over the install together and I will help you with the process. Don't fret you're not the only one who has run into this. So don't be too frustrated.  I'll get you up and running and give you a few tips and tricks to help you out with future upgrades.
  • Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Error 1069: The service did not start due to a logon failure.....
    Sounds like the service account used is either:
    • Not a member of the SCSM Administrators group
    • Is not a local admin of the server you are installing the portal on
    • Has been locked out 
    • The wrong password was used.
    If you have a support agreement with us, I'd suggest logging a support call to get one of our helpful support team on a call with you to work through these issues.

The service account is a member of the SCSM administrators group.

The service account is included in the server's local administrators group.

The service account is not locked out.

I configured a another service with the same account & P/W; started/stopped it several times with no logon/authentication errors.

I do have a service contract, but after browsing the KB library and this BBS; wanted to see if I could obtain some other perspectives.

• Brian_WiestBrian_Wiest Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does your environment follow and SITGs requirements?
    IE Saving of local creds or interactive logon restrictions

Have you verified that service account permissions on the DBO for both SCSM and Cireson databases?
    Answer ✓
    There are STIGs implemented to control user account credentials, and that is something to keep in mind.  I've determined that the password has been modified (without my knowledge) and I'm going to resolve this issue during a maintenance window planned for this weekend.

On a positive note, all great suggestions, and its been useful to verify that the requirements are being met for the software upgrade.