Home Asset Management
Options

How do you manage retired contracts or licenses?

Tim_VottaTim_Votta Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
We are just working on getting on Asset Management components built out.  We are looking to improve our management of these items going forward while we are kind of building from scratch.

One problem that I foresee, is that we don't really have a means of identifying Licenses or Contracts that are expired and not being renewed intentionally.  Ideally, I would like a custom status value for those items that we could set when we let something lapse.  If we retire a SAN, we don't need to carry maintenance on it anymore.

I would like to be able to run reports on expired contracts to be able to identify something that we missed a renewal for, but it looks like our options are going to be either let some items live as expired or delete them.

I would rather not have to delete items that we are no longer carrying, I would prefer that we could add notes into the contract indicating when renewal was stopped and for what reason so we have that information going forward.

Is there something that I am missing or is this how it is going to have to work?  Is wanting to keep them with a different status or something an odd practice?  What do other customers do with contracts/licenses that are allowed to lapse?

Answers

• Options
    Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a really good point @Tim_Votta

The Enumeration list used for contracts is not exposed as a list that you can edit because the status of Expired and Warning trigger specific workflows so can't be changed.
    However, it would be good to add an additional status here of Retired and maybe even Superseded to take in to consideration those that are no longer going to be maintained going forward but are required for historical reporting.

My suggestion is a feature request.
    If you go to the Asset management feature request page of the community (https://community.cireson.com/categories/asset-management-feature-requests) and add a new feature request for the addition of a Retired and Superseded status values, i would certainly vote for it.
  • Options
    Daniel_PaulDaniel_Paul Customer IT Monkey ✭
    We extended our Contract and Support-Class with the authoring tool to get additional fields like LifeCycleStatus with values "In Use" or "Retired". That would be a way, you could do it too.