Home Asset Management

Moving assets to another Class

Nathan_ErdmanNathan_Erdman Customer IT Monkey ✭

I have a VM that is in the Windows Computer class and I need to move it into the Windows Server class as our access forms only query items in the Windows Server class. Can this be done and how?

I apologize in advance as we've always used the Provance Asset management and just very recently moved over to Cireson asset management

Answers

• Nicholas_VelichNicholas_Velich Cireson Consultant Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Nathan,

The method you use is most likely dependent on volume. If its just one or two items, it can be done in the console entirely.

Assuming you have a bulk of these items, first, you will want to export the data you are trying to move to the new class. This is most easily done by highlighting the items in the SCSM console, and selecting "Export Selected Items."

Next, you will want to clean up the spreadsheet that was exported to contain only the items you want created as the Server class. Once you have done so, the new data can be imported via an Asset Import Connector. Asset Import guides can be found here: https://support.cireson.com/KnowledgeBase/View/55#/

After importing the new data, you would be free to delete the original data.

Thanks,
    Nick
  • Nathan_ErdmanNathan_Erdman Customer IT Monkey ✭
    It just for one object, How is this done in the console?
    There is a default "Create Object" task available in the console for all Configuration Item views, where the "Object" will be whatever class the view is based on. If you use the "Cireson View Builder" to create a custom Server view, a "Create Server" task should appear.
    Thank you for the reply, I built a Windows server view and did then see the "create Windows server" option. I attempted to create a windows server and once I clicked apply i get this error.
    Failed to execute submit operation,. Fix the reported error before.. 
    This item cannot be updated because it has been changed by another user or process. To update the item, please close the item and open again.
    I've checked with the few other analyst who have access to SCSM Console and none of these users have it currently open.  How can I get around the error message above?
    Not sure Nathan-- I'm not getting the same error. Did you create the view using the Cireson View Builder, as opposed to some of the other options out there? Also, what class did you select when creating the view? There are a few similarly named "Server" classes which could be the issue.
    I did use the Cireson View builder. I selected the "Windows Server" class