Home Service Manager Portal Feature Requests
We appreciate you taking the time to vote and add your suggestions to make our products awesome! Your request will be submitted to the community for review and inclusion into the backlog.

We recommend reviewing what is submitted before posting, in case your idea has already been submitted by another community member. If it has been submitted, vote for that existing feature request (by clicking the up arrow) to increase its opportunity of being added to Cireson solutions.

For more information around feature requests in the Cireson Community click here.

"Approval All" Permissions

Kevin_GoodwinKevin_Goodwin Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

I have run into a couple instances now where a users has inappropriately used the "Approve All" option on a review activity. Can we either remove this option or get a permissions setup so that I can restrict people from using it?

Thanks!

Best Answers

Answers

• Conner_WoodConner_Wood Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    [As far as I know] Since we're only allowed a single group to enter into the Review Activity Tasks Permissions

This makes it difficult to easily know who has access to what.

I have 2 groups as you can see:
    1. SCSM Portal - RA Admins
    2. SCSM Portal - Authorizing Managers
    What I have done is added the "SCSM Portal - RA Admins" group as a member of the "SCSM Portal - Authorizing Managers" group.

This way the RA Admins can do all Review Activity Tasks, while the "SCSM Portal - Authorizing Managers" can only approve or reject.

As far as I am aware, this set-up doesn't allow the issue of "Approve/Reject All" when I had tested it ... but if it does Cireson needs to fix it immediately.

SideNote:  I'm working on a Reviewer Portal which only allows a user to approve/reject if they are an Assigned Reviewer.

• Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....I'm working on a Reviewer Portal which only allows a user to approve/reject if they are an Assigned Reviewer....
    While I think it is extremely important to get approvals working correctly in the portal, this represents another use case.  Having an interface just focused on clearing a backlog of review activities would make a certain few users (of which I am one) very happy. 

Here is where I think a separate interface like this could really take off, though:  what if this was a quality review interface for following behind work items that have been completed?  It wouldn't be tied to RA's, but to work items.  Someone in a quality role could see certain essential fields that make up their review criteria and then enter a rating.  Perhaps a true/false, comments, or a score could be entered next to each field and then totalled at the bottom.  Perhaps not.  Integrating those scores along with survey results and other quantitative metrics into one or two dashboards could really be a game changer.

So I want to give all credit due to this idea, but sometimes one idea prompts another, too!
  • Kevin_GoodwinKevin_Goodwin Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

Thanks for the responses. Connor, I have been controlling the permissions through the SCSM Console groups, but I can give this a try. I don't think it will work simply because there is no separate option for "Approve All", it seems you can either approve, or not approve, but I will give it a try.

Tom, I also like the idea of a separate interface, but for now I would really just like to cut down on user error in the current setup. :)

I have been controlling the permissions through the SCSM Console groups

Yeah, I doubt Cireson managed to utilize those (all of it seems AD Group Based through their Portal) though I'd love confirmation from them.  I wouldn't blame them for not using them because they were so hard to figure out.  I spent a huge amount of effort figuring out where the data is in the SCSM database and how I could figure out the 5 Main Ticket Analyst Permissions which I posted as How to use SQL on ServiceManager DB to check User Permissions from User Roles
  • Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.
    Hi Kevin,

If you want to avoid it being used at all, you can just hide it from the page using this snippet. Ensure this runs on every RA page with a custom task on CRs and SRs. This will remove Review All and Reject All.

$('div[class=reviewer-controls]').hide()

Geoff
    Geoff, do you have something that gives a little more step by step for this? If I can just hide the button that would be fine, but I do not know how to implement what you are suggesting.
    Excellent, but I am still not sure where to put this. Would this be a .config file that I drop into the CustomSpace folder?
    So I added this to the custom.js file (which was blank for me). I then stopped the cache builder, stopped IIS, recycled the app pool, and started everything back up. I can still see the buttons for Approve\Reject All. Is there something I am missing? I can make this a ticket if that would be better. :)
    Can you open the Dev Tools in the browser, (press F12) and then load a Service Request and see if any errors appear in the Console tab?
    No errors I could see but a new SR just got submitted and the buttons were not visible on the RA. So this is a going forward change then correct? Does not remove the buttons from existing requests?
    It should work on any SR, past or new. Have you retested an old SR?
    If still not working, could just be browser cache issues?
    Yeah I refreshed a couple times with no change, but for sure the new requests that have come in since I made the change have the buttons hidden. I will clear my cache and try a few other things in the morning. Even if it is only going forward, that solves my problem. Thank you so much for the help Geoff!
  • Dennis_de_JagerDennis_de_Jager Customer IT Monkey ✭
    I'm going to test this one as well....
  • Dennis_de_JagerDennis_de_Jager Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Works like a charm! 
  • Jonathan_BolesJonathan_Boles Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    [As far as I know] Since we're only allowed a single group to enter into the Review Activity Tasks Permissions

This makes it difficult to easily know who has access to what.

I have 2 groups as you can see:
    1. SCSM Portal - RA Admins
    2. SCSM Portal - Authorizing Managers
    What I have done is added the "SCSM Portal - RA Admins" group as a member of the "SCSM Portal - Authorizing Managers" group.

This way the RA Admins can do all Review Activity Tasks, while the "SCSM Portal - Authorizing Managers" can only approve or reject.

As far as I am aware, this set-up doesn't allow the issue of "Approve/Reject All" when I had tested it ... but if it does Cireson needs to fix it immediately.

SideNote:  I'm working on a Reviewer Portal which only allows a user to approve/reject if they are an Assigned Reviewer.

Hi @Conner_Wood, it the Reviewer Portal something you'd be willing to share with the community? (even if it's in rough form :) - although from what I see, you've made leaps and bounds on it) Our organization has an extremely large number of approvals with Change Requests and to date we've not yet moved Change Management into our system due to the complexities. Something like this would be perfect for reviewers that don't access the system on a daily basis. 
    @Jonathan_Boles said:
    Hi @Conner_Wood, it the Reviewer Portal something you'd be willing to share with the community? (even if it's in rough form :) - although from what I see, you've made leaps and bounds on it) Our organization has an extremely large number of approvals with Change Requests and to date we've not yet moved Change Management into our system due to the complexities. Something like this would be perfect for reviewers that don't access the system on a daily basis. 
    It's not quite ready for the community.  Core Features such as a config file to allow text the way you want for certain links and other simple information to the end user still need to be configured.

I have been making documentation regarding setup and optimizing this website so it will preload itself so it is as quick as possible for any user at any time.  Also documentation regarding what registry keys to allow reading remotely and permission level of the Application Pool Account for SQL Databases and folders.

On top of Live Reviews, I plan to allow the same searchability of Archive Reviews.  One downside with Archive is if someone is archiving comments with a custom DW Management Pack, I'll need to allow that SCSM Admin to edit a config file to specify the names of tables and columns to generate the Action Log or perhaps allow them to make their own SQL query to generate their table.

There's a few other issues to worry about with the Data Warehouse side, such as which relationships to display like the Reviewers table, as the Microsoft Out Of Box Functionality is to delete relationships from DWRepository which then marks relationships as deleted in the DWDataMart.

Possible additions would be Cache Runner as part of the portal, so there is an offline file which can keep track of things that might be needed in the future and is checked periodically.  I also was thinking about an email ability that the SCSM Console just can't provide through the \Administration\Workflows\Configuration or Administration\Notifications\Subscriptions for complex business requirements, ex, check daily if a RA is in progress to see if the RA is a week old and no comment has been added to the Parent Ticket if comments could be allowed, and then email the reviewers as a reminder if true.....

I have ensured the Reviewer Portal is compatible with IE11 and Chrome though, which is a plus.  But yes, this is something I would like to see the Community benefit from if it can be so.
  • Jonathan_BolesJonathan_Boles Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    @Conner_Wood, this solution is a straight up bucket of Christmas awesomesauce! Thanks for sharing this with the community! 
  • Adrian_ProbstAdrian_Probst Premier Partner IT Monkey ✭
    Hi Kevin,

This will hide it on RAs in SRs. You can edit the top line for other Work Items types.

/* ----------------------------------------------- */
    /* ----- SR - Hide the Approve an Reject All ----- */

app.custom.formTasks.add('ServiceRequest', null, function(formObj, viewModel){  
        formObj.boundReady(function () {
    		$('a[data-cid=Activities]').on("click", function () { 
    			$('a[class="k-icon k-plus"]').on("click", function () { 
    				//Hide the Approve an Reject All
    				$('div[class=reviewer-controls]').hide()
    			});
    		});
    	});
    });
    /* --- END SR - Hide the Approve an Reject All --- */

When the form is loaded, it binds a function to the click on Activities Tab.
    This function puts another function on the click of the expand button (triangle, arrow, whatever it is)
    This next function hides the two buttons.

Hope this is what you need,

Geoff
    Hi Geoff

As I understand, this works only if the RA will be open over "My Requests" and then clicking on the Activities tab.
    Is there a solution to hide the Approve and Reject All buttons if the user opens the RA directly over "My Work"?

Thanks,
    Adrian
  • Adrian_MataiszAdrian_Mataisz Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    @Geoff_Ross Any solution to hide them if RA clicked from My Work queue? Thank you
  • Brad_McKennaBrad_McKenna Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

Adrian, a solution to hide the Approve All / Reject All buttons is available by Dennis_de_Jager in this thread:

https://community.cireson.com/discussion/59/hide-activity-fields

This thread also provides a mechanism to hide additional fields for activities as deemed necessary.