Home Analyst Portal

Are we supposed to be able to update our Knowledge Base Article Enumeration Strings?

Amanda_FeesAmanda_Fees Customer IT Monkey ✭
We have several items in our "Knowledge Article Category" Enumeration list. Recently a request came up to change one of the categories - an example is change "Phone" to "Cisco IP Phones". It seems simple enough, I went into the Enumeration list settings and tried to update the display string, but each time I get "Failed to update Enumeration."

Log says:

2017-04-19 11:52:38,045, ERROR [  53]:  Enumeration / Add or Update
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'Enabled', table 'tempdb.dbo.#zSTG_0_Enumeration_________________________________________________________________________________________________0000000494B3'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.
The statement has been terminated.

It's seeing a null value, but I'm adding one in.

I've tried on both IE11 and FireFox. 

Is this maybe a bug? Or does it not like updating values that are already tied to specific knowledge base articles?

Best Answer

• Amanda_FeesAmanda_Fees Customer IT Monkey ✭
    edited May 2017 Answer ✓
    HI Nick,

Thank you for your response. At the time this wasn't a huge issue for us so some other things took priority. Now that this issue is resolved for us I thought I would share what our problem was so in case someone is looking they have an answer.

It turns out the pain was self-inflicted. A few months ago, we ended up needing to restore the Enumeration table to a prior state. Sometime during that process an "Enumeration-Old" table was created. This table had the primary key in it, and that caused problems. It wasn't a huge issue at first (just couldn't update KB categories) but really started hurting us when a change was made to an enumeration list within the console, which caused our CacheBuilder to throw the same error and would no longer sync up tickets.

We fixed that up, and everything is now working correctly, including updating the knowledge base categories. :)

Answers

• Nicholas_VelichNicholas_Velich Cireson Consultant Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Amanda,

You should be able to edit those Knowledge Article Category enumerations exactly as you described. I tried reproducing in my lab environment and wasn't able to (v7.4). What version of the Portal are you running? I recall there were some issues with earlier versions.

Thanks,
    nick
    edited May 2017 Answer ✓
    HI Nick,

Thank you for your response. At the time this wasn't a huge issue for us so some other things took priority. Now that this issue is resolved for us I thought I would share what our problem was so in case someone is looking they have an answer.

It turns out the pain was self-inflicted. A few months ago, we ended up needing to restore the Enumeration table to a prior state. Sometime during that process an "Enumeration-Old" table was created. This table had the primary key in it, and that caused problems. It wasn't a huge issue at first (just couldn't update KB categories) but really started hurting us when a change was made to an enumeration list within the console, which caused our CacheBuilder to throw the same error and would no longer sync up tickets.

We fixed that up, and everything is now working correctly, including updating the knowledge base categories. :)
  • Filip_TheyssensFilip_Theyssens Partner IT Monkey ✭

Hi,

How should one update the list containing the categories then?

I tried to update the list in the fat SCSM console and I'm not seeing the new categories in the portal.

thanks!

Hello Filip,

If you are logged into the Cireson Portal as an admin you should be able to click your name in the upper right and choose "Enumeration Settings".

Thanks,
    Amanda