Home Service Manager

List items stored in default management packs

Michael_InceMichael_Ince Customer IT Monkey ✭
Hi All,

Not sure how many people have come across this. We have some list items that we use on custom class / form extensions that are stored in default system management packs. When we use the lifecycle app to migrate work items, it does this fine, but obviously the list items are incorrect. I've found that if I change the list items before migrating data that the app creates duplicate list items (probably because of different id's). I'm going to try removing all the list items and re-migrating the work items. I was just wondering if there's an obvious, better way to do this that i'm missing?

Answers

• Michael_InceMichael_Ince Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Sorry. I should mention that this is migrating from 2012 to 2016.
  • Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.
    Hi Michael,

Not 100% following, but I know that the liefcycle app will not move any data in the OOB MPs. Therefore when it comes to move the WIs the enum values linked to them will not exist in the target environment.

The app with therefore create these enum values in new custom MPs. The Id's will be different, and then InternalName will be different but the DisplayName will be the same.

The best approach I can recommend is to create the enums manually in the target SCSM before migration. In order to match, these must have the same InternalName so the easiest way to do this is to export the XML of the OOB MPs, find the reverent sections and paste these into new Custom MPs and import into the 2016 environment.

Then when you use the tool, there will be a matching enum to link the migrated work item to.

Let me know if this doesn't answer your question, or you need more help.
  • Gerhard_GoossensGerhard_Goossens Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    I know this is old, but I think the problem is like, with Incident tier queue list, it saves it to the Incident library, it does not give the option to save in unsealed management pack. So when you go between dev and prod those enums are lost. I think with service requests it does prompt to save in unsealed management pack.

• damon_mulligandamon_mulligan Cireson Consultant Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    When setting up SCSM, Incident Tier Queue is populated with default(temp/test) values. Tier 1-3.
    The Support Group for Service Requests is empty.

Immediately after initial install of SCSM, the default IR Support Group should be removed using this process: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/servicemanager/2012/05/09/removing-the-sample-incident-management-configuration-support-tiers-1-2-3/

Then, when you populate the IR Incident Tier Que, it prompts you for a custom MP.

When migrating it is best not to create any missing list values in the 2016 environment, and do a comparison/cleanup after the fact. Otherwise you run into duplicates as you mentioned due to the internal values for list items being different.