Home Asset Management
Options

Tracking App-V Applications in SAM

Alex_MarshAlex_Marsh Premier Partner Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
Is anyone doing the above and have any words of wisdom on the best approach. I'm trying to define a best approach in order to correctly count license for App-V applications as these will not be picked up (as far as I'm aware) by the SCCM connector and therefore will not plug into SAM correctly.
As most of these are deployed via ad groups the initial plan is to simply import the group members as authorised users of the software, however this will need additional workflows creating to keep this updated and for compliance/data validity the process should be as automated as possible

Answers

• Options
    Davis_MathaiDavis_Mathai Member Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
    Hi Alex,
    Great topic!  Its definitely not an easy one to relate an App-V application to a SW asset in Cireson Asset Management.  The sequenced App-V applications wont show up in Programs and Features (correct me if I'm wrong) and therefore, wont be picked up by the SCCM client, and then won't show up in SCSM, as you mentioned. 
    As the main aims of any client's SAM initiative would be to maintain/ensure compliance as well as mitigate any audit risks, my thoughts would be to manage this how an auditor would look at applications published via RDS/Citrix.  Some points:
    - Ensure that, as you say, group membership can be viewed/validated easily
    - Ensure that the process behind adding/removing users from any access groups can be demonstrated easily (maybe something around the access request process, which you can manage in SCSM/Cireson)
    - Ensure some level of documentation of the above demonstrating the logic of reaching this process.

In my previous SAM experience, having the above typically covered an organisation from an audit of applications delivered through RDS\Citrix, which is similar to deploying an application via Citrix.  The authorised users would be a great way of showing the results of this, but having the backup to show the logic would also be good to have.

Not a solution but hopefully a useful contribution to this topic :-)!

Davis