Home Advanced Request Offering

Use MP Enumeration List item as criteria for Query Results Prompt

I have created a custom list to hold over 200 types of "departments". I would like the user to be able to select a department from the list and have the selected department drive the criteria for the next query results field. This will be helpful because our company has 40,000 users and I cannot display all of them in the query results so I would like to use the enumeration list item to filter the query results. You can accomplish this with a simple list but that is not a good option because of the amount of list items. You would have to type 200 list items into each RO you wanted to use the list in. 

So to sum up I would like to use the enumeration list result to set criteria for the department property of the active directory users class. 

I have included some screenshots to show how the enumeration list does not show available criteria. 

Best Answers

• Larry_EllisLarry_Ellis Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Answer ✓
    Tom,

thanks for for the follow up. I'm new to creating custom lists. How do I create it as standard instead of enumeration? Is this with the authoring tool or the list builder tool?

thanks 

Answers

• Tom_HydeTom_Hyde Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Hi @Larry_Ellis
    Have you considered putting your departments in as a 'Standard' instead of a enumeration list?
    I'd suggest creating each department within here and create a new Standard List Type called 'Departments' - This can be then used to scope out the standards within the RO.

You will then be able to set criteria for the department property of the active directory users class.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks
    Tom
    Answer ✓
    Tom,

thanks for for the follow up. I'm new to creating custom lists. How do I create it as standard instead of enumeration? Is this with the authoring tool or the list builder tool?

thanks 
    Hi @Larry_Ellis this is assuming you have the Cireson Asset Management App installed (I really should have said this before...) but its located under Configuration Items > Asset Management > Administration > Standards
    Oh I don't have the cireson asset management app. Does it make it easier to create and maintain custom list which contents change regularly? And is it possible to accomplish a standard custom list without the app?
    Yeah it works really well for us - We have a fair few set-up which has nested AD membership groups within and utilising scorch we can leverage a standard to add a user into the particular group etc.We use them for other things to such as hardware/software bundles etc.
    Unfortunately without the app it wont be possible to create a 'Standard' this is just something that we were able to utilise as part of the app. Someone else on here may be able to advise otherwise!
    Thanks for that Brian. I will definitely try this one out. I wonder if there is any way to update an RO with powershell???
  • Brian_WiestBrian_Wiest Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sonam_rastogi_blogs/2014/05/14/update-xml-file-using-powershell/
    You still have to export and import the xml to modify
    If you are referring to powershell to the RO without exporting, you can use the export-scmanagmentpack and import-scmanagmentpack to peform the export/import as part of the script. 
    I prefer to do that manually as the import will report errors if the xml is malformed. 
  • Amy_CrookAmy_Crook Customer IT Monkey ✭
    @Tom_Hyde The suggestion for Standard Lists sounds like the solution I'm looking for. We have the CAM app, I can find how the Create Standard button. Can you point me in the direction of how to create the lists, or how to use Standards? I didn't have any luck searching KB. Thank you!