Home Service Manager

Adding custom fields to OLAP Cubes

Amanda_HoreAmanda_Hore Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭

We are trying to add some custom fields - like Manual Activity Support Group, to the Out of Box cubes.  The fields are in the Datawarehouse, but not showing in the cubes. 

We logged this with Microsoft and got this response:

Actually we don’t recommend to extend cube partition groups or dimensions as there will be many schema changes happen in the AS database. It will definitely impact the future patches (UR, SP, etc) and other unpredictable potential issues. According to the complexity, if you can take the risk and offer around 30 hours, we can help research and provide you the sample management pack for how to add custom properties in default cubes. Please let me know your opinion.

Has anyone done this, and if so how? 

Answers

• Eric_KrasnerEric_Krasner Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Were you able to figure this out?  If so, can you share?  Thanks.
  • Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    To the best of my knowledge, it is recommended to create new cubes instead of updating existing ones.

It is possible, of course, to open the management pack for the OOB cubes, copy the definition and put it in the MP for your new cubes, and just add the extra properties that you want, so that the new cubes are essentially the same but with more fields.

The difference lies in how the properties are added.  Creating a cube with properties that you define works.  Extending an OOB cube has not worked, in my experience (it simply does nothing at all), and much of what I have read recommends not to, anyway.