Home Configuration Manager Ticker

WMI access denied error in Cireson TickerApp.log

Today I had the following error message on a maschine:
Querying WMI for Ticker data changes.
Error: WMI query could not be performed.
Error message: Access denied

My colleague found out that the permissions in the WMI on his computer were different than on the faulty one.

The installation of the ticker app changes the WMI permissions so that all users can query the WMI class "root/ccm/policy/machine/requestedconfig" and not only the system (SCCM agent host). The ticker app is running in the user context.
This was not the case with the faulty computer. This morning, the repair/reinstallation of the SCCM agent has started on the faulty computer. Thereby the WMI classes are also included and resettet. Therefore, the permissions that the ticker app has set during the installation are gone.

Do you know this behavior? 

Our first solution ideas:
1. When the SCCM agent setup is restarted, the ticker installation (or at least an WMI authorization setting) must then run afterwards. Otherwise nothing is running.
2. Compliance setting with automatic reset / repair of ticker rights

Best Answer

Answers

• Daniel_HoenigDaniel_Hoenig Member IT Monkey ✭
    Thanks Flemming.
  • wally_meadwally_mead Member Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    It depends on what kind of permissions are required and on what. It might require a script to reset things, however certainly could have a Configuration Item and baseline to evaluate and remediate.
  • Robert_PerrierRobert_Perrier Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Before I create my own, was the script or CI mentioned above ever created?
    Hi Robert,

I'm afraid that we never created one to reset the permissions. I know of at least one customer that did so, but to my knowledge, they've never posted that for others to use.

I hope that helps,

Wally
  • Robert_PerrierRobert_Perrier Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Hi Wally,

Okay, understood, thank you for the quick reply!
    You are welcome, sorry that we never did create one on our own, but from what I heard from the other customer, it was pretty easy to do.
This discussion has been closed.