Home ConfigMgr Portal - Community

Installation issue

Hello all,

I am struggling to install the Community Edition. I get this error while installing and there is not way for me to fix it.

Any help ideas how to fix it?

Thanks a lot!

Best Answers

• seth_coussensseth_coussens Member Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Sorry, for the trouble. I'll follow up with development to make sure this is tested and we get this fixed if we can reproduce it in the installer.

In the meantime I've sent you a 30 day trial key in your messages.

Answers

Make sure you right click and goto properties for each of the zips and unblock the files prior to unzipping them.
  • Arnold_TomašovskýArnold_Tomašovský Premier Partner IT Monkey ✭
    edited July 2017
    Hi. I checked that option, but I didn't have it there. There was nothing to unblock :( 

I have re-downloaded the whole installation package, re-run the installation. This time it worked out fine (no idea how or why). Now I am stuck on the post install step that asks me for a license key...

Make sure the license key box is totally empty, and doesn't have even an empty space in it and then try and validate the empty license box. You should get a notification about not having a key and it going to install the CMP-C version. Also, the next box appears highlighted, are you getting that error when validating an empty text field or when you click next?
    It is empty. Double checked and even pressed Ctrl+A and delete. To be sure.

I starts with the validation and says as I am missing the key, Community Edition will be installed. I click on Next and then I get an error message saying that entered license key is not valid. In order to continue I need to provide one. Then something on the line that the lenght does not mee the requirements.
    Answer ✓
    Sorry, for the trouble. I'll follow up with development to make sure this is tested and we get this fixed if we can reproduce it in the installer.

In the meantime I've sent you a 30 day trial key in your messages.
    No worries at all. I am just puzzled as I tried to do it both ways - manually and through the wizard and both failed.

Many thanks for your help and the key!
  • wally_meadwally_mead Member Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    I wonder if that was the original version of the Installer? It might not have been configured for the Community edition (ie. a completely blank license key). Both a manual installation as well as the Installer DO support a blank license key, which then enables the Community edition. You can see that in action in the demonstration video that I recorded on the CMP Installer that it up on the vimeo site at:
    Hi Wally,

that is a good question, but I don't know. Truth is that I filled in all the details on this page - http://cireson.com/apps/configuration-manager-portal-community/ Got the link to the app and tried to install it via wizard.

Just out of curiosity... What is the difference between Free Community version and http://cireson.com/configmgr-portal/#freedownload?
  • wally_meadwally_mead Member Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Hi Arnold,

That looks to be another link to the same thing. There really is only one 'version' of the CMP now (as of v2.0 and later anyway). If you install it and provide a valid license key (either purchased or a trial key), you are running the 'Team Edition', which unlocks all features (although the trial key limits the use to 30 days).

If you install and do not provide a license key, you are using the 'Community Edition', which is essentially the read-only version.

As to the version, if you see the screenshot of the Installer in the link to my previous response, you can see that we put a version in the lower left corner of the Welcome screen. The version above is v2.0.1. We're up to v2.0.3 for released versions now. You can go to http://softwaredownloads.cireson.com, scroll down to the CMP (second in the list) and download it. Then leave the license key blank to test the Community Edition.

Let me know if that helps,

Wally

Hello,

sorry for reaching back to you so late. I got an time limited license and worked (and works) flawlessly.

Thank you very much once again and sorry for the hassle.

Arnie
This discussion has been closed.