Home Action Log Notify

not sending analyst comments, SendTroubleTicketAnalystComment status is faulting

Jody_SudburyJody_Sudbury Customer IT Monkey ✭
Hi, I've followed the instructions to setup Action Log Notify, and it works for updating the analyst when an end user responds to a helpdesk email, but it doesn't send the end user an email when the analyst replies to the helpdesk. I looked at the workflow status for SendTroubleTicketAnalystComment and I can see it's faulting.

Details: Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.EnterpriseManagementException: Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at ActionLogNotificationWorkflows.SendActionLogNotification.Execute(ActivityExecutionContext executionContext)
   at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutorOperation.Run(IWorkflowCoreRuntime workflowCoreRuntime)
   at System.Workflow.Runtime.Scheduler.Run()

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this working? Thanks.

Answers

• Joe_BurrowsJoe_Burrows Cireson Devops Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this just email related? If so when an analyst replies to the help desk email, there is a bug with the exchange connector where it sets 'is private' to null. Action log notify only triggers when is private = 'false'

Similar thread here with workaround:
    https://community.cireson.com/discussion/2430

• Jody_SudburyJody_Sudbury Customer IT Monkey ✭
    edited July 2017
    Thanks, Joe. That gets me part of the way. If i run the script referenced, and then "retry" the failed workflow instance, the user gets the email of the analyst's comment, so that's some progress. However it doesn't seem like the TroubleTicketAnalystCommentNotificationWorkflow automatically retries failed attempts, so what happens when the workflow runs prior to the script setting the private field to false? The result seems to be that it still won't send the email because it has already failed and doesn't retry unless you manually click retry... Obviously some people have this working so what am I missing? (I put the script to run via task schedule ever 1 minute) 

Thanks
  • Jody_SudburyJody_Sudbury Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Also, just wondering why you can't have the logic of the workflow check analyst comment for isnull or false and then send the notification? Seems like it would avoid all this...
  • Joe_BurrowsJoe_Burrows Cireson Devops Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Joe. That gets me part of the way. If i run the script referenced, and then "retry" the failed workflow instance, the user gets the email of the analyst's comment, so that's some progress. However it doesn't seem like the TroubleTicketAnalystCommentNotificationWorkflow automatically retries failed attempts, so what happens when the workflow runs prior to the script setting the private field to false? The result seems to be that it still won't send the email because it has already failed and doesn't retry unless you manually click retry... Obviously some people have this working so what am I missing? (I put the script to run via task schedule ever 1 minute) 

Thanks
    Not sure about getting it to retry failed attempts, but it should work going forward.

Also, just wondering why you can't have the logic of the workflow check analyst comment for isnull or false and then send the notification? Seems like it would avoid all this...
    This script was provided from Microsoft as a workaround to their bug with the exchange connector, once they fix their issue we wont need to work around our product or use a script :)
This discussion has been closed.