Home Service Manager Portal Feature Requests
We appreciate you taking the time to vote and add your suggestions to make our products awesome! Your request will be submitted to the community for review and inclusion into the backlog.

We recommend reviewing what is submitted before posting, in case your idea has already been submitted by another community member. If it has been submitted, vote for that existing feature request (by clicking the up arrow) to increase its opportunity of being added to Cireson solutions.

For more information around feature requests in the Cireson Community click here.

Templates for Knowledge Base Articles

Justin_ClarkeJustin_Clarke Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
Looking at knowledge base, would be great to have the ability to have templates you can select and use when creating an article.
This way i can have a template pre populating a format for End User and also Analsyt Content to keep it uniform.

Just like an SR when you create via the draw it gives the option to select from template.

22 votes

Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• Chris_JordanChris_Jordan Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
    This is an excellent idea, but you know what developers think about documentation. :expressionless:
  • Michael_BaldryMichael_Baldry Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    This would be awesome to have. We've struggled with a good way to get stuff into the KB in a consistent (and user-friendly) way. The HTML/formatting generated by converting from Word & OneNote isn't great, so it would be really nice to be able to define templates inside the portal.

For now, I liked the really basic template that @Candice_Yeudall posted in this thread: https://community.cireson.com/discussion/298/how-do-you-structure-layout-your-knowledgebase-articles#latest. I took that template and plugged it into a little function that we put in our custom.js file, which sets the "AnalystContent" and "EndUserContent" properties (as well as their ContentType properties), so that all new KB articles start off with the basic structure defined. Here's the script:

// Run this script whenever the HTML document is loaded and ready
    $(document).ready(function() {
        // Find the current page's URL
        var href = window.location.href;
        // If the URL is equal to the "New KB Article" URL, run this script. Need to check for both
        // staging & production, so both URLs are included here.
        if (href === "https://<production>/KnowledgeBase/New" || href === "http://<staging>/KnowledgeBase/New")  {
            //replace this HTML with whatever you want to use as your template. I set the same template for both the end user content & the analyst content, but you could use different ones for each
            var templateHTML = "<span style=\"font-family:\'Tahoma\',\'sans-serif\';font-size:12pt;\"><h1 style=\"font-weight:bold;margin-bottom:0px;\">Version History</h1>Article Release: 1.0 | Release Date: January 23, 2014<h1 style=\"font-weight:bold;margin-bottom:0px;\">Overview</h1><h1 style=\"font-weight:bold;margin-bottom:0px;\">Who Article Applies To</h1><h1 style=\"font-weight:bold;margin-bottom:0px;\">Prerequisites</h1><h1 style=\"font-weight:bold;margin-bottom:0px;\">Main Article</h1><h2 style=\"font-weight:bold;margin-bottom:0px;\">Sub-Section</h2><h3 style=\"font-weight:bold;margin-bottom:0px;\">Sub-Sub-Section</h3><h1 style=\"font-weight:bold;margin-bottom:0px;\">Tips</h1></span>";
            // Set the Analyst/EndUser Content & ContentType attributes to use the template HTML you defined above
            pageForm.viewModel.AnalystContent = templateHTML;
            pageForm.viewModel.AnalystContentType = "html";
            pageForm.viewModel.EndUserContent = templateHTML;
            pageForm.viewModel.EndUserContentType = "html";
        }
    });
  • Justin_ClarkeJustin_Clarke Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the Script Michael, I have tested this in our Dev system and looks great.
  • Justin_ClarkeJustin_Clarke Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    The above code is great but would it be possilble to do the above based on article type? IE: if i select "how to"it gives a different starting html headings etc but if i select "FAQ" it would give me another one?

this would just be for the new article page.
  • Konstantin_Slavin-BoKonstantin_Slavin-Bo Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    @Justin_Clarke
    I guess it should be possible, but unfortunately I'm having trouble with getting it to work.

First of all, it doesn't seem like you can actually change AnalystContent, after the page has loaded completely. If it's set before the page has finished loading; it works. But if you try to set it after, it doesn't update the actual text. I'm not sure why this is. But I guess this could be circumvented by replacing .html() on the body element of the iframe.

Even so, my main problem is that I can't figure out how to bind to the change event of the KAType dropdown. Does anybody have an idea of how to get the correct object?