Home SMA Connector

SMA Runbooks won't start - Error about encrypted credentials

Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
I am wondering if I found a bug, or if something just needs to be checked on my end.  My SMA runbook templates get the following error in the Output when I create tickets that use them, and the jobs never actually start in SMA:

[TIMESTAMP] - Execution of the job failed.
Failed to obtain encrypted credentials, please check the related connector configuration

Well, I have checked the connector configuration.  It seems to work just fine, at least when I am retrieving the list of runbooks or just testing the credentials in the connector.

In the Admin pane, there is an SMA settings node, but the window is completely blank, other than the MP version in the title bar, and OK/Cancel buttons at the bottom.  It has always been this way.  Could this be an indication of an issue?

I opened the management pack that contains the template, and I do not see anything wrong/unusual with it, but I am also not sure what I should be looking for.

Setup:
  • I am using a credential in the connector which has rights to SMA and can successfully connect.
  • When working in templates, I provide different credentials, but in the same domain as the credential above.
  • It is strictly forbidden to share credentials, so these would be privileged user credentials in each case (which have access to SMA, also).
Does the Service Manager workflow account need elevated rights to SMA in spite of the credentials provided in the connector, perhaps?

Any insight that can be provided will be most appreciated!  I want to rule out errors on my part before submitting an incident, and hopefully this will help others since the documentation on the support sight is very light.

Best Answer

Answers

• Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, @Leigh_Kilday (and also @Steve_Wright)!

I do not even need to look to be fairly sure this is the issue.  Our passwords are system-generated and highly complex, with almost no characters forbidden to the generator.

One followup question to make sure I have a clear understanding: the connector credentials are being stored in the template MP, correct (that is how it appears when looking at the MP's xml, but this element is encrypted)?  (As opposed to the credentials that are provided after specifying the connector but before pulling down the list of runbooks and their params.)