Home General Discussion
Options

Problem Management & Manual Activities

GordonGordon Member Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
How do folks solve for the issue of multiple tasks associated with a problem investigation being worked by different teams or individuals. The natural answer seems to be have MAs associated with PRs. That way I can assign to teams/individual, track the tasks, have them be in people work lists, attach SLAs, etc 

Has anyone else done this or do you have suggestions as to how else this could be achieved?

Answers

• Options
    Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Individual MA's is a great way to go, but remember to place them in a Parallel Activity to make sure each team can work on the items at the same time.
    If you have dependent activities then build them out in Serial Activities under the Parallel one. 
    These can get complex and deep as the PR resolution builds over time.

Good luck
  • Options
    Tony_CollettTony_Collett Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    General consensus with SCSM is to create a SR related to the PR and assign Parallel/Sequential/Manual Activities to groups based on who is working on the PR at the time. 

The SR is not absolutely necessary, as you could create activities using a RunBook and relate them to the PR. However there is no native support for Activities in PRs. 
  • Options
    GordonGordon Member Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
    Brett, do you have any experience or established mechanism to do that? Right now it does not come out of the box, and seems like maybe some folks don't recommend it. 

Tony, any idea why there is no native support for MA in PR, any specific reasons you think it should not be done?
  • Options
    Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Gordon
    If you have an hour to kill, and don't mind Aussie accents, myself and Mat Barnier from Systemology did a presentation on something similar at Innovate 2015.
    you can view it here: https://vimeo.com/album/3629161/video/143957653

I hope this video can help you in the right direction.
  • Options
    Tony_CollettTony_Collett Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gordon said:
    Tony, any idea why there is no native support for MA in PR, any specific reasons you think it should not be done?
    I wouldn't know why Problem records don't have support for activities, that was a design decision by Microsoft. I definitely agree that activities should be included on Problems though.