Home Service Manager
Options

Service Manager Ticket Backup for Decommissioning

Brandon_ScottBrandon_Scott Member IT Monkey ✭

Hi,

We are in the process of decommissioning our old ITSM system and are looking for the standard backup procedures for tickets on the old server. Specifically, is there anything outside of the ServiceManagement DB that is needed to keep a complete record of the historical tickets. Is the whole ServiceManagement DB needed or just specific tables?

Once these tickets are archived and the rest of the old ITSM system is fully decommissioned, how difficult is it to view the archived tickets?

Thank you!

Brandon Scott

Best Answers

• Options
    Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.
    Answer ✓

Hi @Brandon_Scott

How are you? For "all" data you will need the ServiceManagement database but its pretty unreadable. I think the best thing to keep would be the Analytics database which should have a row for each Ticket that was ever in the system. There is no "view" for the old tickets, just SQL queries.

Geoff

• Options
    Simon_ZeinhoferSimon_Zeinhofer Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25 Answer ✓

@Brandon_Scott have a look at this ;)

This points to the prod. db but you can use it for other DB Sources (e.g. your old tickets) as well. We did the same - We used our old Data Warehouse though. And created a dashboard site with the Pagefilter widget pointing to the old Data Warehouse. What's important, is that you need the pagefilter widget Add In for that ;-)

If you need parts of the query or other things from it, just text me :)

Answers

• Options
    Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.
    Answer ✓

Hi @Brandon_Scott

How are you? For "all" data you will need the ServiceManagement database but its pretty unreadable. I think the best thing to keep would be the Analytics database which should have a row for each Ticket that was ever in the system. There is no "view" for the old tickets, just SQL queries.

Geoff

• Options
    Simon_ZeinhoferSimon_Zeinhofer Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25 Answer ✓

@Brandon_Scott have a look at this ;)

This points to the prod. db but you can use it for other DB Sources (e.g. your old tickets) as well. We did the same - We used our old Data Warehouse though. And created a dashboard site with the Pagefilter widget pointing to the old Data Warehouse. What's important, is that you need the pagefilter widget Add In for that ;-)

If you need parts of the query or other things from it, just text me :)

• Options
    Brandon_ScottBrandon_Scott Member IT Monkey ✭

Thank you both for you very helpful answers, I was able to get that working in our environment! 😀

@Simon_Zeinhofer @Geoff_Ross