Home Service Manager Portal Feature Requests
We appreciate you taking the time to vote and add your suggestions to make our products awesome! Your request will be submitted to the community for review and inclusion into the backlog.

We recommend reviewing what is submitted before posting, in case your idea has already been submitted by another community member. If it has been submitted, vote for that existing feature request (by clicking the up arrow) to increase its opportunity of being added to Cireson solutions.

For more information around feature requests in the Cireson Community click here.
Options

SCOM "Company Knowledge" Integration with Cireson HTML KB

Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
With full recognition that much of this issue lies with SCOM, wouldn't it make sense to let SCOM target the HTML KB that everyone is already using, for its "Company Knowledge" section?  This is the "what."  I leave the "how" to the experts.  :)
5 votes

Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• Options
    Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice! I clearly wasn't the only one who was staring at Company Knowledge and thinking "You know..."

It almost speaks directly to some kind of SCOM management pack that leverages hooks into the ServiceManagementDB or an API call to the portal. If Cireson was built on SCSM and is now pivoting into SCCM, I'd certainly hope SCOM is inevitable.
  • Options
    I would be more surprised if any two people looked at that and didn't both think that it should integrate with some other KB! :)  There may be some opportunity here for a similar integration with OMS, too.

In the meantime, I plan to add a "Search [company name] Knowledge Base" task in the tasks list that opens https://[SERVERNAME]/KnowledgeBase/Listing#/search/$Data/Context/DataItem/ManagedEntityDisplayName$//.

It's not quite as slick as what Cireson could do, but it will work in a pinch!
  • Options
    Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    @Tom_Hendricks - I too JUST did the same thing in SCOM (although just went straight to the view so you see the search box and all Knowledge Articles). For anyone interested in this crazily quick walk through in SCOM -

1. Authoring -> Management Packs Objects -> Tasks -> New Task -> Console Tasks -> Alert Command line
    OR
    1. Authoring -> Management Packs Objects -> Tasks -> New Task -> Console Tasks -> Command line

2. Create a new MP for the task(s) if necessary
    3. Based on what you picked in step one you can target a class of items, like All Windows Computers but then this task only appears on Windows Computer objects in SCOM. If you're going to universal appearance of this task through all of SCOM regardless of context, you'll want to create an Alert Command Line task.
    4. Application = explorer.exe
    5. Parameters = "https://[SERVERNAME]/View/0aef4765-0efa-4a65-84c1-324b09231223"

Of course change SERVERNAME to your SCSM server/load balanced name. Also, leveraging explorer.exe will ensure that the default browser is used from wherever this task is kicked off. If you want to provide some context to the search, you can pass the Alert Name into your search parameters by using this command instead -

https://[SERVERNAME]/KnowledgeBase/Listing#/search/$Name$//
  • Options
    The only thing I would tweak is #4.  Instead of explorer.exe, I would want to use the following, somehow:

cmd /c start [yourUrlHere]

Which would make your Application CMD.exe and your params "/c start 'https://[SERVERNAME]/View/[thatreallylongguidthatironicallyseemstoolongformetowanttoretype]"

But yes, we were definitely thinking the same thing here.  I am still discussing which of the the two approaches to use.  My $data....$ tag won't work in the Alert Command Line, I think.
  • Options
    johnlissjohnliss Member IT Monkey ✭