Home General Discussion

IIS performance tuning -> Web Garden?

Raffael_JenzerRaffael_Jenzer Customer IT Monkey ✭
Hi

We're currently trying to get the Portal faster... We've moved the SQL Instance to a new SQL-Server (in DAG Cluster), which only holds the SCSM-Instance (and no other Instances). In this Instance, there are the databases CiresonAnalytics, ServiceManagement and ServiceManager. This brought as a little performance boost.

I'm now trying to improve the IIS performance. Reading through different articles, someone suggested to use "IIS Web Garden". In the advanced settings of the CiresonPortal application pool, there is the ability to change the value "Maximum Worker Processes" from 1 to "more than one".

Does anyone have changed this setting?
If yes, what was the outcome? Faster Portal or more troubles?

Thanks,
Raffael

Answers

• Brian_WiestBrian_Wiest Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    What performance issues are you running into. 
    I have only one Portal server at the moment with 500 concurrent connections, with no performance issues. 
    Only piece I monitor is the memory allocation. Box is currently at 32GB ram.
  • Raffael_JenzerRaffael_Jenzer Customer IT Monkey ✭
    The portal isn't to fast... it's faster than the Cireson Support Portal, but for some users still not fast enough... I've discovered, that to open an IR or SR, it starts loading the IR/SR, then (in developer tools in Chrome), there is a gap of ca. 1 seconds, before it continues loading. And we would like to eliminate that.... we "loose" with every pageload 1 second "for nothing"...
  • Davis_MathaiDavis_Mathai Member Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
    Hi Raffael, when you talk about loading the IR/SR, do you mean from a request offering in the portal or from the "New" drawer bar at the bottom of the page?
    In either case, this doesn't sound like normal behaviour. 

In "My Work", I've clicked on an SR... then it opens the SR... on the right side you can see the loading times...

Is the same true for all your users including you as the global admin?
    My sessions take about 4s to load but my more security trimmed staff take 5s due to the SDK permissions check.
    Yes. But normally the portal for normal analyst users is slower than for me (admin)...
  • merlenette_jonesmerlenette_jones Member Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Hello @Raffael_Jenzer

Would you be able to elaborate on the type of performance you would expect to have?

We do have a KB article available I am not sure if you are aware of it - https://support.cireson.com/KnowledgeBase/View/1173#/

Talks about some minor performance tuning suggestions. 
    Ah I see what web garden is now. 
    I do not use web garden due to having sessions enabled. Similar post by someone else https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2151251/asp-net-web-garden-how-many-worker-processes-do-i-need
    I have one worker that utilizes 90% of my available ram. 

Hello @merlenette_jones

Yes, we've implemented the recommended performance tweaks... During navigation, it is ok, but to load (open) an IR/SR/CR etc... it's taking some time to open the work item...

See the screens below. This was measured with Chrome and Dev-Tools (F12). Network-Tab and "Disable Cache" activated.

My Work:

Active Work:

Open IR:

Open SR:

Do you have similar load times?

Regards,
    Raffael
    So the question that we must ask is why is your browser pulling close to 6MB from our server when I'm pulling down 3.5

I get similar results which are normal based on the fact that you have "Disable Cache" checked. Is there a reason for this?

If I uncheck that box I get much faster load times.

Merle
  • Jerry_VeldhuisJerry_Veldhuis Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    We noticed something similar and reported to Cireson Support
    https://support.cireson.com/Incident/Edit/IR66267/

I'll leave it to Merenette to share details of the solution.
    Thank you for the help @Jerry_Veldhuis

@Raffael_Jenzer

Can you access this KB article - https://support.cireson.com/KnowledgeBase/View/1399#/

I would also like you to submit a ticket to support so I can increase the severity of the issue.

Merle