Home General Discussion

Offering auto populate data based off User input

Paul_SpechtPaul_Specht Customer IT Monkey ✭
Is there a way to auto populate data based off a users input into an SR?  So for example, if the end user selects Office #1, I can have data behind the scenes that I can pass in my runbook that the end user doesn't need to know, or wouldn't know.  

Answers

• Justin_WorkmanJustin_Workman Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'd have to parse the XML of the UserInput property of the work item and pass that back into the runbook, but it's definitely doable.
  • Brian_WiestBrian_Wiest Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    You also Map the text output to the Runbook activity to pass the string into the workflow. (If you are talking about a specific question, this will not work if you are trying to parse something out of a string block)

Here is an example of where I am passing in an integer for a temp user.
    The runbook 

The runbook activity in SCSM

Then the service offering where I perform the mapping 

Now you have the value to work with in your run book.

Another example is for Office if you have Cireson Asset management, I setup all offices as location CI's in SCSM.
    I attach them to tickets as related CI's
    Then in runbooks I use the Get-Object to pull into the class to work with. 

The nice peice of using location CI's is that it contains all the office details. So when using office details for user creations all the properties are pulled in for data mapping. And when the CI is updated I do not need to revisit the runbook values.
    HTH
  • Paul_SpechtPaul_Specht Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Thank you both.  Brian, thank you I will use your suggestions for other runbooks I have in my future.  I should have been more clear.  I am trying to have the end user select an office, and have a runbook lookup and create a DHCP reservation.  I have several DHCP servers in multiple sites.  I dont think there is a way to look up DHCP servers by specific site.  I know I can look up all of them.   So I am either creating a script with lots of if else statements and manually add all the DHCP servers, or can I read a text file and return the server and scope data?
  • Brian_WiestBrian_Wiest Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    "or can I read a text file and return the server and scope data?"
    Absolutely
    Recommend in the runbook to call a powershell script that searches a cvs for the "office" then return other variables.
    Just as a side note. Be careful allowing end users to request DHCP reservations. You should make sure to have a control that someone approves it before applying or they could starve your IP's Also you will need to figure out a method of making sure they cannot reserve the same IP for different MAC's.