Home General Discussion

Cireson Portal - Pull down group mapped to AD group

CaterhamITSupportCaterhamITSupport Member Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

Dear All,

I would like to create a management pack which maps to a AD group.

Any direction on this would help.

Thanks

Daniel

Answers

• Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

Just to be clear - you're looking to create some kind of process to relate AD Users to their AD Groups within SCSM? Assuming that's true, what is the end goal?

• CaterhamITSupportCaterhamITSupport Member Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

Dear Adam,

Thanks for the reply, i would like to have a pulldown which reflects the contents of a AD group.

Kind Regards

Daniel

• Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah. Got it. Alright well there are certainly going to be a few steps involved here because there is no native mechanism in SCSM that keeps/shows a relationship between users and groups. Which means we'll need to create one and to do that will require a few steps.

1. We need to decide first if we want to use a native out of box relationship on the Active Directory Group class or create a class extension called something like "Members"
    2. We need PowerShell or an Orchestrator job that grabs groups from Active Directory, then their members, populates, and updates membership into SCSM. Think of this like an secondary Active Directory connector. This job would run every X hours. The interval is up to you, but I'd suggest every 24 hours.
    3. We need a Type Projection (known as a Combination Class in the Query Results, Prompt Type on a Request Offering). Building Type Projections, let alone understanding them used to be a difficult thing. But fortunately, @Justin_Workman created the SCSMProjectionBuilder. This PowerShell GUI based tool helps you build Type Projections and deploy them fast.

So I hope what you can see here is that first we need to populate our data source (the SCO/PowerShell job) and then we can use that in any Request Offering.