Home CMDB Portal
Options

Is it possible to create custom Configuration Items not imported from Active Directory or SCCM?

Jason_MeyerJason_Meyer Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

Is it possible to create custom Configuration Items not imported from Active Directory or SCCM?

Our non-microsoft resource admins are wanting a way to track their hardware.

Thoughts?

Answers

• Options
    Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.

Hi @Jason_Meyer

YES! This is the power of SCSM. Do you use Cireson Asset Management?

Geoff

• Options
    Simon_ZeinhoferSimon_Zeinhofer Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023

@Jason_Meyer We do that with network components inside our company.

I created a request form, where the network team may upload a csv and the rest runs completely automatic via script. We create new catalog items, if needed, as well as new vendors etc.

For 1 other object class, we created a completely new Config Item class via the authoring tool, which also works fine.

• Options

@Geoff_Ross Today we are not using Cireson Asset Management. What does it cost?

@Simon_Zeinhofer Thank you. Is there any documentation or instructions on how to do what you describe?

• Options

@Jason_Meyer I guess if you have the non-community portal, asset management does not cost anything.

As far as the documentation goes, the only thing I could find was this one: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/scsm/author-with-sm?view=sc-sm-2022

It is for 2022 but the Authoring tool is available for other versions as well.

We use it for class extensions a lot, we also created many custom relationships and so on. So if you have questions, just feel free to ask.

• Options

Ah, ok, thought it was an add-on like the CMDB module.

Appreciate the link, guess I was hoping for something that was a little further developed. We have limited time to spend 'building/administrating' an asset management tool. Just need it to work.

Guess we need to define what configuration items we want to start tracking and then go from there on if they are in System Center or if/how we build them.

Currently what is missing are printers, network devices, certificates that I can see us trying to manage with this. If anyone has a road map or plan on how to get these devices into this I'd love to see it.

• Options

@Jason_Meyer The asset management is a Management pack which you can import. Isn't the CMDB module also included in the licensed version of the portal? Nvm, if you have a full license, asset management is included (afaik).

We disabled our MEMCM Connector for Windows Computers and only use Hardware Assets. And we use it for displays, dockingstations and so on. It is pretty self-explanatory after using it some time. I would defenitely give it a chance ;) Especially when you speak of printers and network devices (we already created HW Assets for both types) it is really worth it. For certificates you could use the class Standard imo, or you create a new class with the authoring tool.

The authoring tool itself is also pretty self-explanatory and after some trial and error (e.g. decimal places are didabled by default and have to be enabled in the MP xml) you will be a master ;)