Home Service Manager Asset Management Feature Requests
We appreciate you taking the time to vote and add your suggestions to make our products awesome! Your request will be submitted to the community for review and inclusion into the backlog.

We recommend reviewing what is submitted before posting, in case your idea has already been submitted by another community member. If it has been submitted, vote for that existing feature request (by clicking the up arrow) to increase its opportunity of being added to Cireson solutions.

For more information around feature requests in the Cireson Community click here.
Options

I would like the ability to rename a Location and Organization

Currently the name is the key field.  As company standards change, I would like the ability to rename a Location and an Organization.  I am not able to do this when they are key fields. 

As an aside, if anyone has a repeatable process they've used to "rename" these objects, I'd be very intersted to read about it.

8 votes

Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• Options
    Joe_BurrowsJoe_Burrows Cireson Devops Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use powershell to move the relationships to a new object if that helps heres an example that you could rework:

#Declare Locations
    $OldLocationName = 'TEST'
    $NewLocationName = 'APAC Headquarters'

$OldName = Get-SCSMobject -class (Get-SCSMClass -Name "Cireson.AssetManagement.location") -Filter "displayname -eq $OldLocationName"
    $NewName = Get-SCSMobject -Class (Get-SCSMClass -Name "Cireson.AssetManagement.location") -Filter "displayname -eq $NewLocationName"
    $relSourceObjects = Get-SCSMRelationshipObject -BySource $Oldname
    $relTargetObjects = Get-SCSMRelationshipObject -ByTarget $oldname

foreach($thisRelObject in $relSourceObjects) {

#Remove the relationship.
       Remove-SCSMRelationshipObject -SMObject $thisRelObject

#Add the relationship

New-SCSMRelationshipObject -RelationShip (Get-SCsmRelationshipclass -id $thisrelobject.relationshipid) -Source $newname -Target $thisrelobject.Targetobject -Bulk
    }

#Do it again for target objects.
    foreach($thisRelObject in $relTargetObjects) {

#Remove the relationship.
        Remove-SCSMRelationshipObject -SMObject $thisRelObject

#Add the relationship.
        New-SCSMRelationshipObject -RelationShip (Get-SCsmRelationshipclass -id $thisrelobject.relationshipid) -Source $thisRelObject.SourceObject -Target $newname -Bulk
    }

• Options
    Bradley_SavielBradley_Saviel Member Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

It's a fact of life that organisations change. Mergers and divestitures can occur with business units within the organisation. They can also occur for two separate business entities. When a merger or divestiture occurs... it is an absolute nightmare for asset managers. An asset manager would probably sell their soul for a tool that has simple/standard way (e.g. A GUI Wizard) of handling the following scenarios:

• Merger (Business Unit) - possibly a new organisation is created and all asset relationships are transferred to the it from the old ones;
    • Merger (Business Entity) - really just the addition of new assets (hardware, software, licenses etc.)
    • Divestiture (Business Unit) - possibly a new organisation is created and selected assets are transferred
    • Divestiture (Business Entity) - really just the disposal of assets to the separate business entity.

At the moment we use PowerShell to pseudo-automate this as well...but it's not pretty.

• Options
    Ryan_KennedyRyan_Kennedy Customer IT Monkey ✭

This has been quite an issue for me as well with the Organizations at my work constantly changing names..

I've modified Joes script to bulk Create / move relationships of Cireson Organizations (and Locations or other Cireson classes where the Name is the UID...) with a CSV file - a column called CurrentName and a column called NewName

It also creates the new object if it doesn't already exist and puts the old object in to Pending Delete when the relationships have been moved across.

There's also a bit of logging / progress indicator in there so you know that it hasn't frozen and how far through it is.

Seems to work fine but use at your own risk / test in Dev first ;)