Home Asset Management
Options

Handling Catalog Item Hardware Variation

Alex_MarshAlex_Marsh Premier Partner Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
Hi All

Not sure if this is possible but my customer currently deploys a number of Surface devices, which have different specifications and as a result different costs. They would like to be able to have catalog items for each variant and have them automatically associate with the related hardware assets. Where I see an issue is that Microsoft have made no model changes within any fields accessible by SCSM to identify the difference between an i5 Surface Pro 4 and an i7 Surface Pro 4. Apart from associating these manually or via an Orchestrator process which detects the processor from the related hardware items, is there any way to do this with the native catalog?

Answers

• Options
    Tony_CollettTony_Collett Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's not clearly identifiable through Config Manager to be able to determine the difference between 2 different Surface Models, then you will likely nee to run a Powershell or Orchestrator command. 
    I'm not able to test this myself as I don't not have a Surface of my own, but does ConfigMgr have any fields for model? I imagine Microsoft should have something to identify the Surface in some form or another?
  • Options
    Alex_MarshAlex_Marsh Premier Partner Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    The only way I've found to do this so far is to get the related processor and disk objects and use orchestrator to associate the hardware asset with the correct catalog item. That's the only differential as regardless of specification all the models state 'Surface Pro 4' in the model name