Home Service Manager Asset Management Feature Requests
We appreciate you taking the time to vote and add your suggestions to make our products awesome! Your request will be submitted to the community for review and inclusion into the backlog.

We recommend reviewing what is submitted before posting, in case your idea has already been submitted by another community member. If it has been submitted, vote for that existing feature request (by clicking the up arrow) to increase its opportunity of being added to Cireson solutions.

For more information around feature requests in the Cireson Community click here.

Option to identify the type of Hardware Asset (e.g. Notebook or Desktop)

Hardware Assets are linked to Associated Config Items. The Config Items identify a chassis type (Form Factor) as per standard values in https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee156537.aspx. The Hardware Asset should identify the matching description.

This could be done by either:
  • New Field (e.g. Chassis Type) - which provides the description
  • Existing Field - extending the existing HW Asset Type, with sub-enumerations from computer.
Non-technical users can then immediately identify the form factor of the of hardware asset, rather than having to interpret technical specifications on a vendors web-page.
10 votes

Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• Kylie_BellKylie_Bell Customer IT Monkey ✭
    This would be very helpful.  Management often asks for a list of notebooks and this feature would allow us to very simply filter down to the right records.
  • Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.
    Yup, that would be helpful. Most customers I know have to set this manually to a custom enum in the HW Asset Type on asset creation.. I think this would have the be a new field that was non editable as the workflow would break if a chassis type was removed from the list.
  • Stuart_SneddonStuart_Sneddon Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Yup, that would be helpful. Most customers I know have to set this manually to a custom enum in the HW Asset Type on asset creation.. I think this would have the be a new field that was non editable as the workflow would break if a chassis type was removed from the list.
    Hi Geoff, Just to confirm. There is no danger in adding  and manually setting HW Asset Type enums? The breaking workflow you mention is not an existing one, but a future created workflow assuming the feature to automatically link CI chassis type to HW Asset value was added?
  • Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.
    Hi @Stuart_Sneddon

Correct, I was talking about breaking a future workflow. The current workflow only requires the Computer value in the HW Asset Type List as it sets everything to this on creation.

So, no issue at all to add and manually / automatically (via custom workflow) set custom HW Asset Type Enums.

A standard configuration i provide for customers is along the lines of this:

Computer
    - Computer / Laptop
    - Computer / Desktop
    - Computer / Workstation
    - Computer / Windows Tablet
    - Computer / Physical Server
    - Computer / Virtual Server
    Mobile Device
    - Mobile Device / Phone
    - Mobile Device / Smart Phone
    - Mobile Device / Tablet
    Networking