Home Analyst Portal
Options

SQL Table Widget Issue

David_AllenDavid_Allen Partner Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
When using the SQL Table Widget, if you use the AS statement to assign an alias, and the alias contains a space, the query fails and no data is returned at all. 

Is this by design, or maybe a bug?

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    What version of the portal are you running?
  • Options
    Are you putting the Alias's in quotes?
    If they have a space and they are not in quotes this would fail.
  • Options

Thanks Tony.  Your test is exactly the issue. 

I am running v7 of the portal for your information.

• Options
    Morten_MeislerMorten_Meisler Premier Partner Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Yep this is an issue, I also tried with single-apostrophe and escaping it. Same issue happens if you make a comment in the widget with spaces.

A workaround is to make underscores instead of spaces since the column name is underlined anyway so it can't be seen. Example: as "Operating_System" (given you are making a sql table widget)
  • Options

I have used underscores as a workaround already, but non-IT users feed back that it looks to "technical" with underscores and does not give the impression that the report is business focussed. 

I personally don't see an issue with underscores as long as the data is good, but then I am techie :)

• Options
    Just an FYI for everyone, this has now been filed as a bug with Cireson... As soon as I hear about a fix being available, I will post back!
  • Options

I have used underscores as a workaround already, but non-IT users feed back that it looks to "technical" with underscores and does not give the impression that the report is business focussed. 

I personally don't see an issue with underscores as long as the data is good, but then I am techie :)

What are non technical people doing looking at SQL Code?
    Or are you talking about the labels of the graphs?
    Might be a good feature request to have text editable labels for dashboards.

• Options
    Tony_CollettTony_Collett Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might be a good feature request to have text editable labels for dashboards.

To be fair, that's what aliases are for ;) Unless you mean customisable labels for other users