Home Asset Management
Options

Software Asset and licenses Best practice / simplifing

Marek_LefekMarek_Lefek Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
I'm wondering how you deal with registering and naming software assets and licenses. Eg. My company user AutoCAD from version 2009. We have maintenance agreement that alow us to update the software. I input in Cireson all verions eg. 
  • AutoCAD 2013 multiuser - 3 counts
  • AutoCAD 2013 multiuser - this license bought without maintenance
  • AutoCAD 2014 multiuser - 3 counts - upgrade from 2013
  • AutoCAD 2015 multiuser - 3 counts - upgrade from 2014
  • AutoCAD 2016 multiuser - 3 counts - upgrade from 2015
And I also add Licenses with similar name. 

But maybe you have some experience that is better to simplify to have less work:) cause we have lot of software. 
Mayby someone use solution like this: Use One Asset "AutoCAD" and connect it with all license. Make the pattern without version And use the same filename for software metering.  Disadvantage: All older licenses need to be disactivated.

Comments

• Options
    damon_mulligandamon_mulligan Cireson Consultant Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    @Marek_Lefek

It has been quite a while. Did you get this sorted?

With what you have described, I would suggest the following.
    For Software Assets:
    AutoCAD 2009
    AutoCAD 2010
    AutoCAD 2011
    AutoCAD 2012
    AutoCAD 2013
    AutoCAD 2014
    AutoCAD 2015
    AutoCAD 2016
    This way you can track how many of each version is installed. I am not sure how you use the SW Asset Type field, but I would label all these "Tracking/No License". This shows you this is an asset solely for tracking purposes, and to assist with getting people updated to the newest version in the case of subscription scenarios.

Then create a SW Asset:
    AutoCAD (All)
    Set the SW Asset Type to Licensed
    The software naming pattern should normalize all the versions of AutoCAD

For licenses I always use the SW Asset name "-" last 5 of product key. This keeps it unique.

To Continue:
    I would need to know if your list above is of just separate purchases and uses the same product key, or just additional uses of the same product key. Do you have dates associated to those line items?