Home Analyst Portal
Options

Postal Task for Orchestrator Runbook

Tom_Vidar_NøklebyTom_Vidar_Nøkleby Customer IT Monkey ✭
I used this to create a runbook that converts a Service Request to a Change Request. http://contoso.se/blog/?p=2943
I works great with the task in scsm console. But i want to create a task on the portal that runs the same command line as the task in scsm. Is that possible?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Morten_MeislerMorten_Meisler Premier Partner Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Yes as Geoff said, this is probably best to do via a Javascript form task. I don't think this exists, but this SR -> IR convert task should get you in the right direction:
    https://ciresondevops.codeplex.com/releases/view/618275

To launch a Orchestrator runbook directly, you can use the webservice also, but the feedback is limited and takes time to finish compared to above task.
    How to trigger a runbook using webservice

• Options
    Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the comments about using JavaScript, and interacting with the SCORCH web service is a viable option as well, but also remember that Azure Automation and SMA can be called by web service as well, if PowerShell is your preference.
  • Options
    seth_coussensseth_coussens Member Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the comments about using JavaScript, and interacting with the SCORCH web service is a viable option as well, but also remember that Azure Automation and SMA can be called by web service as well, if PowerShell is your preference.
    There are examples out there that do it precisely this way. Look for SCSM, Azure Automation, and Cireson Portal. There are examples with a task even that triggers the runbook.
  • Options
    Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    @seth_coussens, you happen to have some excellent example in one of the videos, in fact.  I didn't have the link handy earlier, but I highly recommend it to others!
  • Options
    Tom_Vidar_NøklebyTom_Vidar_Nøkleby Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Thanks all for great answers.

Morten_Meisler said:
    Yes as Geoff said, this is probably best to do via a Javascript form task. I don't think this exists, but this SR -> IR convert task should get you in the right direction:
    https://ciresondevops.codeplex.com/releases/view/618275

To launch a Orchestrator runbook directly, you can use the webservice also, but the feedback is limited and takes time to finish compared to above task.
    How to trigger a runbook using webservice

Ended up using the first link above as a base and changed it to work for SR to CR. Works great! And it is much faster than using a runbook. Changing it was not hard, even with my very basic javascript skills. 

Now i am working on changing the dialog so the analyst can choose type of change ( Normal, Emergency, pre-approved). And based on the answer the function uses the id of the right template. now it uses a kendo.ui.ExtYesNoDialog.show. I guess its here i need to use another dialog to add buttons for each change type. but i have had no luck yet.

Any help would be great :)
  • Options
    Morten_MeislerMorten_Meisler Premier Partner Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    A dialogbox with templates is used for the other convert task IR->SR, so you can probably peek at that and modify the Id(s). 
  • Options
    R_DelawderR_Delawder Member Adept IT Monkey ✭✭

Attached is and example of how I invoke orchestrator runbooks from the custom task in the portal. it works fine for IE however in chrome it fails doe to cross domain calls not supported same way.

However it allows you to invoke the runbook via a post to the runbook server

Someone with a better understanding of CORS may be able to make it work in Chrome.