Home Analyst Portal
Options

Advanced portal/form customizations - overriding controller.js

Michael_BaldryMichael_Baldry Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
We've done a fair amount of work on customizing the Cireson portal using the standard supported methods (custom form tasks, and modifying the form template JSON files). I've now been asked to modify how the portal handles Billable Time. We'd like to be able to do a couple of extra things with it:

1. View time records individually, instead of as a running total
2. Back-date time, so that analysts can enter it after-the-fact.
3. Attach Notes to the time. Possibly from an enum list of categories

I believe that we can accomplish #2 and #3 by extending the Billable Time class, and adding whatever properties we need. But for #1, we'd need to significantly change the UI for entering time. We could force the time to be added through a custom task, but then we'd still need to modify the Work Item forms to use a different type of element (other than "billableTime") to display the extra properties.

The "billableTime" controller & view have a couple of nice little features that we'd like to keep, if at all possible. The controller looks easy enough to modify to meet our goals, but any changes will get overwritten during portal upgrades. So my questions are:

1. Is there any supported way to override these built-in controllers & views?
2. If there's no supported way, does anyone have any suggestions on how to manage unsupported changes like this? It's looking like this is going to be a business requirement, so just not implementing the change is likely not an option.
3. Is there a better way to do this, and still stay within the supported methods?

Looking forward to any suggestions on how to move forward on this.  Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers