Home Service Manager
Options

SCSM Console: Change Request form reverts Scheduled start date time to 12:00AM

David_DarlingDavid_Darling Customer IT Monkey ✭

Hi Experts,

We're curious if you also can experience this issue in your environments -- and if so, how you may have resolved it.  We can reproduce this issue 100% of the time.  We're using SCSM 2012 R2 UR9.

Create a new Change Request via the SCSM Console, fill in any required fields on the General tab, move to the Planning tab and set a Scheduled start date of any future date with a time of 8:00AM, set a Scheduled end date of the same future date with a time of 5:00PM.  Then, click Apply to Save the record.  At this point, the Scheduled start date reverts the time from 8:00AM to 12:00AM.

Anyone?

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Conner_WoodConner_Wood Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    Which template are you using when you choose "Create New Change Request" in the SCSM Console?

I chose "Standard Change Request" from the "Service Manage Change Management Configuration Library" MP.

The standard template doesn't have any additional fields filled in, I also use SCSM 2012 R2 UR9 and it turned out fine as I expected, I tried saving both with OK and Apply.

I think you need to take a look at your Workflows and see if a template is being applied when a Change Request is being created.  Templates are optional but because they're so intimidating most users fill it out and mess up everything, a dead give away is the history tab later shows the workflow account change the value.

I am using a custom Change Request Form with a custom projection type, however I would be just as affected as you were if my workflows were accidentally applying templates when notifying users.

SCSM Console > Administration > Workflows > Configuration > Change Request Event Workflow Configuration

Take a look through each and and see if under the "Apply Template" section (which is optional), see if someone did an oopsie!  "To stop applying the selected template, clear the checkbox" ~ Buggy SCSM Console.

You could also potentially check the template itself you are using for the Change Request and any runbooks in Orchestrator/SCORCH automation that get triggered when you create a Change Request.

CR.png 77.2K
  • Options

Hi, thanks for your response -- the issue persists with ANY template we choose.  We haven't extended the CR form at all.  When I say that the time reverts, I mean, it happens immediately in front of your eyes -- you click Apply, and you can see it revert back to 12:00AM, so not a runbook or workflow making the change.

We've actually experienced this issue for years (maybe even pre-2012 R2).  Do you think it could be something to do with the region or locale or time settings on the local PC's?  I mean, it's pretty standard, but is the CR form doing any kind of verification of the time against the local PC or something?

A quick search on the official SCSM forums reveals perhaps we're not alone -- but the posts I've found don't have profound responses/resolutions associated with them:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/c6cffb53-2907-415a-8b11-d18a4dfbc816/cr-schedule-not-working?forum=systemcenterservicemanager

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/74d91ee7-6a78-43fe-9b6f-dc2b2b20b5ca/scsm-2012-change-form-issue-scheduled-start-and-end-times-default-to-120000?forum=customization

• Options

Thanks Conner -- indeed we have the same settings as you.  It's interesting that the ONLY problematic time for us is 8:00AM, and that our timezone is UTC -8:00.  What is your timezone?  Maybe you can try again with the time that matches your offset?

Indeed this is a problem on all workstations AND servers.

• Options
    This seems more and more to be a Microsoft programming issue..... My TimeZone is UTC-06:00 (negative 6 hours)....

Come Monday I could take a crack at this and see if changing my workstation time to -8 and attempting to replicate this Scheduled Start Date 8:00 AM reset within the SCSM Console will reveal itself.  Also I'd assume the same issue would occur if my timezone being -6 and setting 6:00 AM as the start time as you suggested.

The Microsoft code must be horrendous to not be able to take the local time entered within the SCSM console and end up changing the time to 12 AM.

• Options
    I attempted to use an existing CR and a new CR in the SCSM Console using UTC-06:00.  The date control itself remained the same before hitting Apply or OK, it would not reset the scheduled start date time, no matter what I use for the Scheduled End Date, obviously if I hit apply or OK I'm sure if the start time was after the end time it would reset but I did not do so.  So the behaviour is as expected up to this point.

I can confirm that after changing the Time Zone on the Computer, then opening SCSM Console, opening a CR and setting the times and then hitting OK or apply, if the local time hours converted to UTC is 12:00 AM (which means 8 AM with UTC-8 or 6 AM with UTC-6) then the time will change to 12 AM.

I noticed that by clicking the calendar open and selecting a date seemed to set the 12 AM in motion.  If for example I pick a date and set the start time to 6 AM with UTC-6, it will change to 12 AM on Apply.  However if I pick a date and choose a time which will not equal UTC 12AM and hit apply, I'm then able to change the time to 6 AM and hit apply and it will stay at 6 AM.

What a poorly coded program!