Home Community Uploads

Cireson Partners, Customers and Community members share your customizations and examples here to help benefit the community as a whole to earn Kudos and badges.

DISCLAIMER

All files and projects located here are provided and come "as-is" and without any warranty or support. Use at your own risk. Your use of Community Uploads is subject to our Terms of Use.

Cireson does not and will not support or maintain these enhancements, extensions, and scripts.

For Team Cireson uploads click here.

Custom expanded action log (comments)

Martin_BlomgrenMartin_Blomgren Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2017 in Community Uploads
One thing I don't like about Service Manager from an analyst perspective is the Action log. Most Service desk analysts have an active dialogue with the end user through comments and having to expand those all the time is a tedious task. I also think that those comments should be highlighted with a better readability.

So here's my custom solution for the above problem:

Tested with IE11, Chrome 55, Firefox 45 & Edge. (Some GIF editing makes the save button flash in a irrational way :))

I've attached the files needed in a zip archive. To install just drop the files in CustomSpace (merge custom.js if you have other stuff there already!)

Comments

• Josh_GilliamJosh_Gilliam Customer IT Monkey ✭
    This is great, thanks for sharing @Martin_Blomgren !

• Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once again, great stuff, @Martin_Blomgren!
  • Dakota_GreenDakota_Green Member Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I just test this out in my 2016 labs, and it's an absolute beaut. Great work Martin!
  • Brad_McKennaBrad_McKenna Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Great yet again! Already received excitement from my internal users on this. Top notch as always!

Also, as someone who lacks competency in js, I am very appreciative of the amazing items you continue to share with the community. Thank you!!
  • Leigh_KildayLeigh_Kilday Member Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    In line with @Adam_Dzyacky's usual response, I think you deserve a custom Carpenter badge.
  • Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    In line with @Adam_Dzyacky's usual response, I think you deserve a custom Carpenter badge.
    Hey @Joe_Burrows, I think we need a badge for varying levels of "Carpenter".
    • Tinkerer - "Everyone starts somewhere." Your Community Upload has been downloaded/upvoted 25 times
    • Apprentice  - "With ideas like yours..." Your Community Upload has been downloaded/upvoted 50 times
    • Blacksmith - "Is this your part time job?" Your Community Upload has been downloaded/upvoted 100 times
    • Carpenter - "Now I, am the master." Your Community Upload has been downloaded/upvoted 250 times (and maybe wrapped into core Portal out of box code?)
    • Physicist - "You must be splitting the atom with this kind of recognition." Your Community Upload has been downloaded/upvoted 1000 times!

• Joe_BurrowsJoe_Burrows Cireson Devops Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @Joe_Burrows, I think we need a badge for varying levels of "Carpenter".
    • Tinkerer - "Everyone starts somewhere." Your Community Upload has been downloaded/upvoted 25 times
    • Apprentice  - "With ideas like yours..." Your Community Upload has been downloaded/upvoted 50 times
    • Blacksmith - "Is this your part time job?" Your Community Upload has been downloaded/upvoted 100 times
    • Carpenter - "Now I, am the master." Your Community Upload has been downloaded/upvoted 250 times (and maybe wrapped into core Portal out of box code?)
    • Physicist - "You must be splitting the atom with this kind of recognition." Your Community Upload has been downloaded/upvoted 1000 times!

I like that idea a lot! Though currently we cant track downloads so dynamic earning of badges would be tricky.

Let me see what I can do and ill PM you with some ideas.
  • Steve_WrightSteve_Wright Cireson Support Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    'Build it and they will use...' 
    Thanks @Martin_Blomgren - very nice! :D
  • Adrian_MataiszAdrian_Mataisz Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Will this hide the service account entries?   I think on emails this will not be beneficial due to entries being long.
  • Martin_BlomgrenMartin_Blomgren Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    @Adrian_Mataisz
    This will not hide any entries but it would be easy to target your service account with an if clause and omit those.
    You could use smaller fonts and less padding on each entry but the main thing I'm after is an expanded action log and since on my forms the action log is on the bottom and the newest record is at the top there would only be scrolling if you want to read all history. If you have any suggestions on how to improve the experience I'm all ears!

I'm always doing stuff that my analysts or end users require but hopefully by sharing here we, as a community, can make further improvements or even cast new ideas!

I was thinking of removing all but end user & analyst comments at least for end users.

Is this something that should be done for analysts as well since they could always use the history tab or is it valuable to have that information in the action log? Would be great to get some insight from those of you that have been using Service Manager/Cireson for a while!
    edited January 2017
    I'd vote for a checkbox on it. Then again...don't want someone to get that confused with "Is Private" and think somehow get them confused.
    @Martin_Blomgren
    I agree. Only end user and analysts comments (including emails) should be visible. I know almost nothing about JS so I'm at your mercy. 

Thank You Martin for your work and for sharing it. 

Should this checkbox only be for analysts or end users too? Should the behavior be as 'Show Activities' that is using your browsers local storage to remember the setting in between sessions?

There's no problem doing this but my custom library is getting quite large and the more custom stuff you add performance will suffer as often the needed API's responses is not adapted for the custom task (read larger, including more info then needed) but as long as there is a need there is a way :smile:

This should be included as an out of the box feature!
    @Martin_Blomgren
    I would do analysts and end users. You can always go under History to check who did what. 
    Do we need a check box or can be just a JS code under custom file to hide activities except msgs?
    edited January 2017
    @Adrian_Paech beat me to it - the fact is if you really need to see this I'd say go to History. Checkbox is unnecessary.
    edited January 2017
    @Adrian_Mataisz
    You usually have settings variables in the top of the file with comments and explaining names so that non developers easily can change the behavior.

For example:
    // change this to get that behavior<br>var endUserOnlyComments = true;<br>var analystOnlyComments = false;<br><br>var analystCheckboxVisible = true;<br>etc..

We're not using emails at all except for subscriptions where we include a link to the wi, this is by design as we want the user to actually go to the portal and hopefully use orchestrated self-service or see a relevant kb which we try to provide everywhere possible and in the end solve their problem withour our interaction.

Could of course set it up in my lab but it's easier if someone could provide a masked (where needed) screenshot of the global var 'pageForm.viewModel.AppliesToTroubleTicket' when viewing a incident with emails in the action log.
  • Brian_WiestBrian_Wiest Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love this.
    Did my own solution for email log entries.(Note my attachment updates the date/time format to english)
    Added pre statments for whitespace and added max height along with scroll bars.
    End result is any entry above 300px added scroll bar to dig into the specific email. 
    Since most emails are replies and the main content is at the top it works for our analysts. 
    Thanks @Martin_Blomgren for the solution. 

• Raffael_JenzerRaffael_Jenzer Customer IT Monkey ✭
    @Martin_Blomgren
    Hi Martin, we really love your solution. With IR's, everything is working fine. With SR's, the ActionLog-Entries are visible twice. Any help?
    @Raffael_Jenzer - did you also put in/implement @Martin_Blomgren's ApplyOnActionLogEntry customization? We only exhibited this behavior of the duplicate action log entries with this customization enabled. Note, I had not reported the issue in the thread for the other solution yet as I have not had the opportunity to further test the customization.
    @Brad_McKenna Yes, we've implemented also the ApplyOnActionLogEntry. 
    @Raffael_Jenzer, @Brad_McKenna
    It's turns out it was a simple copy/paste error in custom_ApplyOnActionLogEntry.js resulting in running the function for custom ActionLog instead of saving the form on service requests and change requests. Uploaded a new version in the correct thread a long with details if you like to edit yourself instead!

@Brian_Wiest
    Great contribution! (except for the date/time format :wink: )
    I'm about to filter out none comments except for email thanks to @Adrian_Mataisz whom provided me with the information needed. Also thinking of making other entries optional via a true/false variable together with the option to change (named inside file) service accounts into portal name instead. Will include your edits and of course credit you as the co-contributor.
    @Martin_Blomgren thanks for reviewing and updating ApplyOnActionLog customization.

@Brian_Wiest great additions to make this even better!
    Would be nice to get a link at the attachement entries. So that it would be possible to open the attachement directly from Action Log. :-)
    Also would be nice to flag a request in the grid views if last comment is from the user and now viewed yet. This way if you ask for more info from the user you know when he commented back. 
    @Raffael_Jenzer
    Great idea! At a glance I cannot see a direct relation key between the action log and file attachment array but one could of course try to pinpoint the correct attachment by validating several other properties. However as the console allows naming unique files the same there could be a risk of getting the wrong attachment. Will look into it as I like the idea but no promises as to when and if!

@Adrian_Mataisz
    Please see my answer in the other thread: Custom quick assign work item to me from grid
    @Martin_Blomgren
    Thanks for your updated version. We still have the problem, that "E-Mail sent" entries in the ActionLog are visible twice. Any help?
    @Martin_Blomgren
    Hi Martin. Sorry, that i write again... but we've still the problem, that "E-Mail sent" entries are visible twice... any help? Many thanks in advance!
    Cheers, Raffael