Home Analyst Portal

Analytics DB: Same server as ServiceManagement

Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
During setup for portal 7.3, a separate database server can be specified for the CiresonAnalytics database, and a separate service account may be specified, to connect to it, as well.

However, doing this creates a brand new ServiceManagement DB on the server chosen for the Analytics DB, and points the portal to that new, mostly empty DB, leaving it's old one behind.

If this behavior is by design, I think it needs better explanation in the installer UI.  However, I am struggling to see why I should enter two different DB servers and have one of them ignored.

I assumed that the analytics DB could reside on the warehouse server, for example, while the ServiceManagement DB could remain on its own separate DB server.

Comments

• Martin_BlomgrenMartin_Blomgren Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Not answering your question but a pro tip regarding using data warehouse or  the management servers SQL for Cireson db's from someone who has had a Microsoft license review, the SQL standard license is only included as long as you use it for System Center products.
  • Peter_MiklianPeter_Miklian Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

@Tom_Hendricks have a look at the c:\inetpub\CiresonPortal\Web.config file on your portal server.

Section  <connectionStrings> contains item like this:

<add name="CiresonAnalytics" connectionString="data Source=YourMSSQLServerFQDN;Initial Catalog=CiresonAnalytics;Trusted_Connection=True;" />

Maybe this is the setting you are looking for and can be changed here. I'm not sure, I didn't consult Cireson nor documentation (if any exists).

I think there's Cireson Analytics Settings\Analytics Database Server Name field in current version of the portal installer which maybe was not in older versions? I never installed v7.x.

Let us know your findings if you try to change this. Thank you.