Home Asset Management

How to move from Asset Management 2012 version to 2016 version?

Jari_KivelaJari_Kivela Member IT Monkey ✭

We upgrading our Service Manager from 2012 R9 UR9 to 2016 during the first half of this year. We understand that we also have to move from Asset Management 2012 (v.7.9.2012.151) to 2016. How can we do that change?

Jari Kivelä

Best Answer

Answers

• Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Jari_Kivela,  there are really 3 options:
    1. Manually move all the data from 2012 to 2016 using PowerShell, SQL or another scripting engine
    2. Use the Asset Import Connector to connect the 2016 environment to the 2012 database
    3. Use the Lifecycle Management App to move, not only the Asset Management data but, all the data including Work Items, All CI's, Templates, Custom MP's etc.
    The Lifecycle Management App is not included in any of the Cireson streams so is a separate purchase but can be used for much more than just the migration task you describe.

I ran a webinar last week that went in to this in detail and can be watched here:

I hope this answers your question
  • Jari_KivelaJari_Kivela Member IT Monkey ✭

We want to make an in-place mirgration or upgrade from Asset Management 2012 version to Asset Management 2016 version. We do not want to move anything from one server to another server.

How can we do this?

• Nick_LugoNick_Lugo Customer IT Monkey ✭
    In-place migration is even easier.
    Just upgrade to 2016 and then install all the new versions of the MP's from our downloads page softwaredownloads.cireson.com and the data should remain int he DB without an issue.
    Do I need to delete the old 2012 Management Packs before installing the new 2016 versions? Or can I just import the new 2016 packs right on top of the old ones?
    Importing the new ones over the top of the old ones is fine.
    The only difference between them is the Workflows in the background are encoded in the newer version of .NET.

Good luck
    Oh ok, great. Thanks for the quick reply.

Would you say that importing new 2016 management packs without first deleting the 2012 managements packs is an appropriate upgrade procedure for all Cireson apps? Or just in the case of the Asset Management packs?
    If you remove the old management pack then it will delete the fields and tables in the DB and therefore you will lose all of your AM data.
    DO NOT DO THIS, unless you want a fresh start on your AM data....   

Hope this makes sense.
    Ah, perfect. It's a good thing I asked. Thank you for the clarification!