Home Analyst Portal

How do I export the knowledge base so I can review all KB articles

Pattie_BerghofPattie_Berghof Customer IT Monkey ✭

I need to review all the knowledge base information and want to export it to either SQL or an excel file.  My DBA admin followed the KB article ( https://support.cireson.com/KnowledgeBase/View/1341#/ ).  While many fields exported the Content field did not export which is a critical field for my review.

How do I get the content field to export?

Answers

• Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are copying from one Cireson portal DB to another, those KB instructions should work.  If you are just copying to a table for your own purposes, you need to keep in mind that the content fields are binary, not text.

All articles created through the portal are treated as varchar (NOT nvarchar--this is important, as I just recently discovered!).  So your DBA can run a conversion on the content fields like this:

CONVERT(varchar(max), AnalystContent) AS AnalystContent
    CONVERT(varchar(max), EndUserContent) AS EndUserContent

This T-SQL command converts them from binary to readable text.  Note that if any changes are made that need to go back into the DB, you would need to convert back to varbinary(max).  I would hazard a guess that overwriting KB articles that were created in the portal directly in the DB is not supported in the first place, however.

All of the above assumes that you are using the HTML KB.  I have no experience with the "other" KB.
  • Pattie_BerghofPattie_Berghof Customer IT Monkey ✭
    If you are copying from one Cireson portal DB to another, those KB instructions should work.  If you are just copying to a table for your own purposes, you need to keep in mind that the content fields are binary, not text.

All articles created through the portal are treated as varchar (NOT nvarchar--this is important, as I just recently discovered!).  So your DBA can run a conversion on the content fields like this:

CONVERT(varchar(max), AnalystContent) AS AnalystContent
    CONVERT(varchar(max), EndUserContent) AS EndUserContent

This T-SQL command converts them from binary to readable text.  Note that if any changes are made that need to go back into the DB, you would need to convert back to varbinary(max).  I would hazard a guess that overwriting KB articles that were created in the portal directly in the DB is not supported in the first place, however.

All of the above assumes that you are using the HTML KB.  I have no experience with the "other" KB.

Thanks Tom - I sent this information to the DBA.