Home Analyst Portal
Options

Request Offering - Select a user

Manuel_GomezManuel_Gomez Customer IT Monkey ✭

Hi everyone,

In one of my request offerings I'm asking the user filling out the form to give me the name of another user. How can I make it so that the user gets that texbox that returns all users from AD? (with intellisense).... you know, the same box that shows up when you select the "Token portal username"? and you are an analyst.

Your help is appreciated.

Answers

• Options
    Brian_WiestBrian_Wiest Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is your AD user count? There is a hard limit of AD return results of 5,000. So if you have more you cannot return all users. You have to include a question that applies a lookup in your RO.
  • Options

Thanks. We have almost 40,000 users/groups unfortunately as we are a school board and have many students. I did a prompt type "Query Results" but the resulting object (besides not giving me all the users) is not what I'm looking for. See, when you use the "Token: Portal username"  you get an awesome textbox with intellisense. When you use the "Query Results" you get a text box with a listview underneath it. I wish there was a way to replicate that "Token: Portal username" textbox.

thanks

• Options
    I just realized that it's not a textbox.... it's a dropdown. Thanks
  • Options
    Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    There is and it is exactly what @brian_weist is getting at -

1. Create some user input like "Type a department name here"
    2. In your request offering for picking users, in the Criteria section you can say "User's Department =" and then pick the prompt/output of the first input.

This is how you can start creating a more dynamic filter like Brian is suggesting and use an input like you're after with the Token Portal Username. So using department you could produce a listing of users, or perhaps "Job Title contains", or perhaps the current users direct reports (i.e. leveraging the Token Portal username). I'd advocate for something like "Department Name" because it's more of a natural request flow for and end user in that "Type a department name" and then the list is dynamically populated with a small group of relevant users. But this could just as easily be any other qualifier.

Maybe another way of asking this is - what do the users you could select have in common with one another?
  • Options

Thanks. Good call. I changed my query and now my results are 4000 users (list of our staff) and this is good. But unfortunately, the result is the same. I get  a textbox with a listview instead of just a plain dropdown.. See pic attached. Am I doing something wrong?

• Options

Sorry, just to clarify the dropdown list is what I'm after... the textbox with a listview underneath is what I'm getting right now (so I crossed it with an X). thanks

• Options
    Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    No you aren't! This is the expected result. Trust me, you want this! Query Results return objects from your CMDB and then via the request offering builder let you map those objects to Related Items on your template.

The other types of input are Simple List and Enum List, however Simple List you have to statically define. Enum List you have to have the List already existing in the Library -> Lists section. These are also statically defined. Although to be fair, you could PowerShell update these...but that's a whole separate topic and I don't believe relevant to what you're trying to accomplish.

The payoff of using Query Results is your going to dynamically query the CMDB. So when you hire or terminate an employee, and your AD Connectors run, this result set on this request (and all other requests) would be updated without the need for your or anyone elses intervention (i.e. if you said the criteria is show me only Enabled users and something else, etc, etc.). All in all - the point of this is that your requests become dynamic in nature and require less maintenance.
  • Options
    Ok. Thanks Adam. I guess this is as good as it gets then. I agree, dynamic is the way to go.... I was just hoping someone would have replicated that other dropdown circled in the picture and I could somehow add it to my RO. Thanks again.