Cireson Partners, Customers and Community members share your customizations and examples here to help benefit the community as a whole to earn Kudos and badges.

DISCLAIMER

All files and projects located here are provided and come "as-is" and without any warranty or support. Use at your own risk. Your use of Community Uploads is subject to our Terms of Use.

Cireson does not and will not support or maintain these enhancements, extensions, and scripts.

For Team Cireson uploads click here.

Portal Grid Task - Enable "Instant Message Affected User"

Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Customer Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 19 in Community Uploads
I really liked @Martin_Blomgren's Assign to Me from Grid View and wanted to take this up a notch by adding the ability to Instant Message the Affected User from a Grid View.

This task is 99% Martin's code, but changes the name of some of his functions, updates to use the Skype icon, and adds the ability to perform this from My Work, Team Work, or Active Work views. With that said and done, this task simply builds a URL like task like "SIP: UserPrincipalName" to Grid Views as originally described by @Jerry_Veldhuis in his request. Additionally, I hope this helps out @Jonathan_Boles request as well.

Finally, you'll notice 3 other icons in the directory. Call it future planning.

Comments

• Adrian_MataiszAdrian_Mataisz Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Wow. Thanks, Adam. How can we also make a Task out of it?  You would IM a user more from the Work Items itself, not from the grid.
  • Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Customer Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have that code written for Incidents and Service Requests. Will upload shortly to a v0.2
    edited May 21
    New version attached which adds a Task on Incident and Service Request forms only when the Affected User exists on the Work Item.

To @Adrian_Mataisz and other onlookers, my initial thoughts on placing this on the grid view was the following scenario:

"I'm an analyst, I'm looking at all the work assigned to me or my team. I want to pick up an Incident but before even going into the Incident I want to know if the Affected User is available."

It's this line of thinking that leads me to "I really need to get the javascript call to lync/skype on the local PC to pull the Affected User's status." Obviously, in the interim I'm just going with a static placeholder for the Skype/Lync icon.

Finally, if you are leveraging @Martin_Blomgren's Hover Work Item task to get a quick glimpse of a work item assigned to a team member, it would further lend itself to work from the grid view on the portal.
    Still testing and hardcoded my own account into this. I was expecting to see all Affected User columns change simultaneously, however it only updates the first one (as seen below). Also the caveat to all of this is that it only works in Internet Explorer due to the need to leverage an ActiveX control to call the locally installed Skype/Lync. So the future development of this will mean other browsers would continue on seeing the Skype Logo instead of the Presence indicator. :(

Also - Before anyone asks, Yes! This really does flip status when I change mine in Lync/Skype. No Photoshop here. If anyone thinks they can expedite this solution, let's get in touch!

• Adrian_MataiszAdrian_Mataisz Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    I hope you get it working Adam. I wish I could help. Thank you for your great effort.
    edited May 21
    After a little research there appears to be a lot of discussion on updating multiple statues on a single HTML page, so needless to say it'll require some more investigation. Whichever the case, that means showing it for a single user should be relatively simple based on the above experience of mine. So building upon @Adrian_Mataisz's request, I've managed to get Presence working from a Work Item for the Affected User. Then, entirely leveraging @john_doyle 's code for Send Outlook Email to Affected user, I've modified it ever so slightly so Presence is established just to the right of the label for "Affected User", in this way it shouldn't interfere with his solution in the event you're using it.

As mentioned previously, presence is established by leveraging an ActiveX control which means this solution will only work in Internet Explorer (but it's entirely possible there is another way to do this that I haven't stumbled across yet). So this new "(Skype)" link will still be present across browsers, but the Presence will be conditional.

Given the new found position of this Skype link, having an associated Task on the right seems to make little sense (contextually speaking). So if no one minds, I was going to nix it in the next version of this. Would anyone be terribly hurt by this?
    Still working on this, but started leveraging the associated *.png instead of my temporary CSS border color seen above. Here's some screenshots between the Cireson Portal and my local Skype/Lync client.

edited 3:23PM

It looks like the only way this could have been performed via Chrome (and the rest of the other browsers; this would include Edge I believe) has since been deprecated entirely (NPAPI plugins) as of 2013!

As such, even attempting to load the plugins required just simply doesn't work. I really want to be wrong about this but if what I'm reading is correct, it would only stand to reason that Cireson probably doesn't have a high incentive to build a feature that would only work on a single browser as it would introduce the first contradiction to their SCSM Portal's selling points:

• The portal works across all browsers leveraging HTML5

So I think however awesome we find this little feature, it feels as though it would be the unfortunate first step in fragmenting the overall portal's agnostic browser approach. Again, assuming what I'm reading is true the only hope of this happening across all browsers is for Microsoft to update their code bases for Lync/Skype for Business so that they don't rely exclusively on ActiveX to call through a browser.

Sources: