Home Analyst Portal

Browser crash when opening Service Offering/ loading indefinitely

Mark_MennenkampMark_Mennenkamp Customer IT Monkey ✭
Hello,

we've published some new service offerings (we already have a few which are working properly) for users and experience a behavior which we can't understand.

- Created new Request offerings
- Published the offerings
- Created a new Service offering
- added the new ROs
- Published it
- Created a new group and added the service offering
- Created a new user role, added the new group as well as the AD-group with our test users

Everyone can see the Offerings on our Home page in the web portal. Now there are 2 different situations:

1. Many users try to open the Offering which causes the browser to load for a while and then crash ("Chrome has stopped working", same for IE). Chrome doesn't even load the text fields of the offering before crashing while IE does show them but the whole page freezes and becomes unusable immediately after

2. For some users it does load properly and they can fill out all fields. But when they click on "Save" the saving process takes forever and will never come to an end (my test is "saving" for more than 4 hours at this point)

Admin-Accounts can use all offerings without any issue, so I would guess there is something wrong with permissions.

Where would I look into to get an idea what's wrong with these offerings?

Current Portal Version: 7.4.2016.11

Best Answer

• David_Morris1David_Morris1 Member Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Number 2. your users don't have access to the service request templates that the offerings are built on, enable the templates in there user group settings in the console and that should fix that issue

Answers

• Brian_WiestBrian_Wiest Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your webconsole.log should point you in the correct direction to troubleshoot.
    Portal server C:\intpub\Ciresonporta\logs

Are we talking same day publishing/attempted use? 
  • Mark_MennenkampMark_Mennenkamp Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Thank you for your anwers.

No, there is one day in between because we can't restart our cache builder in the middle of the day (it takes ~20 minutes to get everything working again). We had to wait for our nightly restart to get the users to see the SOs.

I looked into the webconsole.log when testing this with a user that was able to fill out the fields and would then get the infinite loading screen when clicking "Save". There is only one entry which says:

2017-08-23 09:17:56,446, ERROR [1320]:  Creating request offering failed with error: An object of class ManagementPackObjectTemplate with ID 3a79499c-9bff-12e9-c6f2-a953fdf8925c was not found.

Found something on google but running 

SELECT MPName, MPFriendlyName, MPVersionDependentId, MPVersion, MPXML FROM ManagementPack where MPXML like '%3a79499c-9bff-12e9-c6f2-a953fdf8925c%'

didn't return anything for me.

Not sure what this should tell me because the SO is working properly for admin accounts, so this ManagementPackObjectTemplate should be there.

There is no entry in the logfile when a user who experiences the freeze opens the SO.
    2017-08-23 09:17:56,446, ERROR [1320]:  Creating request offering failed with error: An object of class ManagementPackObjectTemplate with ID 3a79499c-9bff-12e9-c6f2-a953fdf8925c was not found.

This means the management servers are out of sync. You have to run the cache cleaner on the servers to resync them. Happens to me all the time. Not sure why you need 20 minutes to run the process. When really needed we can accomplish the powershell commands in less then 2 minutes of down time. 

Oh well, ok, that sounds easy. What exactly do you mean with the "cache cleaner"? Like truncating some tables as described in this article?
    https://support.cireson.com/KnowledgeBase/View/1142#/

If this is what you are talking about then I will give it a try tonight.

I'm not sure why it takes us so long to restart the cache builder. Someone else installed and administered the environment. We were given responsibility of this system because the people before are not available anymore, so troubleshooting is still a bit hard with limited knowledge. Apparently building scoped access takes ages in our environment:

2017-08-23 04:02:16,042, INFO  [  13]:  Building role access
    2017-08-23 04:02:31,496, INFO  [  13]:  Building scoped access
    2017-08-23 04:15:59,607, INFO  [  18]:  Updating User Scope
    2017-08-23 04:15:59,716, INFO  [   5]:  Assigning Analysts, Knowledge Managers, Asset Managers, etc.

Those tables are the Cireson Portal "Cache"

The cache cleaner is the Health State Service for all the management servers. No need to truncate the Cireson tables. You only need to complete that if there is records not clearing on a Cireson Cache builder service restart

SCSM Cache

Stop services in the proper order on all management servers
    "System Center Data Access Service","System Center Management Configuration","Microsoft Monitoring Agent"
    Delete
    [SCSM Install directory]\Health Service State\* 
    Start the Services making sure to restart your primary management server first.
    I find it best to also restart the Cireson Cache builder at the same time. After truncating the Last modified table only. 
    If you powershell the restart and file deletion it should take less then two minutes. Only people attempting to save work or navigating in the console will notice the drop.

Well, thank you for this. I will give it a try later tonight when there is less business going on.
    Good Morning,

unfortunately nothing changed.

I stopped the 3 services, removed the Health Service State directory, stopped the cache builder, truncated LastModified, started the 3 services up again, started the cache builder.

Page keeps on freezing / saving infinitely.

2017-08-24 09:07:48,917, ERROR [  51]:  Creating request offering failed with error: An object of class ManagementPackObjectTemplate with ID 3a79499c-9bff-12e9-c6f2-a953fdf8925c was not found.

That tends to be an issue with the specific service offering. When I run into this I dump the offering and recreate it from scratch. 
    Oh, that's a pretty big service offering. I guess I will try to create a new, very basic one, test if it works and add the forms from the old on in step-by-step. 
    Answer ✓
    Number 2. your users don't have access to the service request templates that the offerings are built on, enable the templates in there user group settings in the console and that should fix that issue
    Typically if it is a permission issue the log will show

2017-08-28 11:22:06,423, ERROR [  29]:  Request Offering Access Violation - User (xxxxxxx) does not have access to RO (d95c9c01-293d-52b5-5374-9ffd0463baa8,c4596a1d-4f12-d756-9b81-ba52069dc3d2)
    this issue wouldn't throw the error above as its not a permissions issue on the RO its an issue accessing the underlying template
    edited August 2017
    Yes! That did the trick for the issue with the endless saving process. Damn, that was easy. Thank you.
    I also checked my log file for the above mentioned error message but couldn't find anything.

Still need to figure out why the whole browsers freezes for many users when opening the SO. I figured it may be dependant on how I create the Request offering. I just tested two offerings, one which I can open properly and one which crashes my browser.

The one that can be opened I did use the "create request offering" and later edited it with the "edit advanced request offering".
    The one that crashes I did use the "create advance request offering". Not sure if that was a coincidence, going to try it again with some test ROs
    ok in this situation is it also the case that the admin users work fine and its just a selection of users that dont work?
    Yes. When accessing them with several admin accounts they open just fine. Can edit and save. When I try to access them with a normal end user account the browser freezes.

Basically as can be seen here:

http://imgur.com/hnXK5v1

The left window is the end user, the right an admin account
    ok cool, could of obvious questions but just to make sure that we're on the right track

the end user is accessing these offerings from a offering link on the home page published from the console rather than a hyperlink sent from an admin account?

do the requests have any CI pickers in I.e Select a computer/person/ad group etc?
    Yes, exactly. The screenshot doesn't show the side nav for the user because of the freeze. The user has access to Home, My Requests, Teamwork, ....

The user also has access to the offering through his own Home page.

It's a very basic offering with just one text field:

http://imgur.com/cUmsZOY

if you create this as just a regular request offering rather than an advance one does it work?
    I've done some more testing now (all was done with an end user account)

Created 2 offerings:

- (1) Created one with the "create advance request offering" dialog -> Freeze
    - (2) Created another with the "create request offering" -> Works fine

- (2) Edited the offering with the advanced editor and added a multi mapping -> Works fine
    - (2) Edited the offering with the advanced editor and added a layout (One page containing my field) -> Freeze
    - (2) Edited the offering with the advanced editor and removed the layout -> Works fine

- (1) Edited with the advanced editor and removed the layout as well -> Works fine

- (3) Created one with "create advance RO" and removed the layout setup-> Works fine

So apparently as soon as I add a Layout through the advanced request offering editor it causes the browser to crash for non-admin accounts
    I'd log this as a support ticket to Cireson directly as it seems to be an issue with the app. what portal on Advance request offering MP versions are you currently running?
    Well, I guess that would be my next step in this case.

Our Portal version:
    Current Portal Version: 7.4.2016.11

Cireson Advance Request Offering MP Version:
    Ye, i cant see any existing bugs or bug fixes or this issue anywhere else in the community
  • Steve_XiongSteve_Xiong Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Was this browser crashing issue ever resolved? If it was, could you please share any information you have? Thanks!