Home Service Manager Portal Feature Requests
We appreciate you taking the time to vote and add your suggestions to make our products awesome! Your request will be submitted to the community for review and inclusion into the backlog.

We recommend reviewing what is submitted before posting, in case your idea has already been submitted by another community member. If it has been submitted, vote for that existing feature request (by clicking the up arrow) to increase its opportunity of being added to Cireson solutions.

For more information around feature requests in the Cireson Community click here.

Knowledge Base - title index also for analyst content

Silas_SulserSilas_Sulser Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭


We have a few hundred KB articles on Cireson Portal.

About 90% is analyst content and the rest of 10% is enduser content.

The problem: the title index (list of all titles in content) is only available for enduser content like:

For analyst content, this section is empty, unfortunately like:

All of the used titles are the predefined H1 / H2 / H3 titles.

We would be glad if this index would be available also for analyst content.

Thanks and best regards


6 votes

Duplicate · Last Updated



This discussion has been closed.